Two different consultations told me I am not a good candidate for sculpsure, because my fat is considered to be visceral?

I have recently went had to get advice and have a few consultations for me getting a scupltsure procedure done on my stomach, back, and flanks? Two different consultations told me I am not a good canidate for sculpsure, because my fat is considered to be visceral? The other four consultations said after doing the scupltsure I would lose 25% of fat in those areas, but they did not tell me nothing about the viseral fat, that the first two places I went for a consultations told me? So, what do I do?

This is very easy to answer

if you have enough fat that you can pinch it, this fat will be improved. If you have a stomach that sticks out but you can barely pinch any fat - then this fat, is behind the muscle and NOTHING except diet and exercising will help you. Sculpsure, Smartlipo nor even a tummy tuck, will be of any help. 

if you see a board certified plastic surgeon then can easily and quickly tell you, if you are a good candidate, if you are still confused.

david berman md

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure Consultation

All SculpSure treatments begin with an assessment of the area to be treated. It is hard to answer your question without a picture or without an in-person examination of the fat you would like to treat. SculpSure is not indicated to treat visceral fat. It is best to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in non-invasive body contouring procedures. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

My fat is considered to be visceral?

Obviously very difficult to provide good info without seeing photos or being able to examine you in person. If your fat is truly visceral, then no, you would not be a candidate for SculpSure, or for that matter, for any other body contouring device, or even for lipo. All of these treatments are designed to treat the Superficial fat only, which is the fat between the skin and the underlying muscle layer. Visceral fat is the fat that is inside your abdominal cavity, and wrapped around your organs. None of the above options can treat this type of fat, which can only be reduced by diet, exercise or hormonal therapy. Whoever you have seen needs to clarify for you which areas are superficial, and can be treated, and which are visceral, and cannot.

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. I am curious as to the type of doctors that you have seen. Are they board certified? Do all of them perform SculpSure and liposuction? 

I suggest that you consult in person with a board certified surgeon whose office has both the SculpSure and liposcution capabilities. For your information, SculpSure is intended to address the stubborn subcutaneous fat that is difficult to eliminate with diet and exercise alone.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Visceral fat and SculpSure

SculpSure is a good option for people who have subcutaneous ( under the skin ) fat that is hard to get rid of even after exercise and diet. It is a cosmetic body contouring procedure. The visceral fat is the fat that is important to remove to decrease risk of heart disease, diabetes and more. This can only be done through diet and exercise.  I would advice to concentrate on diminishing the visceral fat first and then adding SculpSure in the end for the finishing touch. As mentioned below, it is best to have a BMI of 30 or lower to really see the affects of ScuplSure. 

SculpSure, Vanquish for Fat Reducing -- If Visceral Fat, you would need weight loss or hormonal therapy

For best results I suggest a 4D VASER hi-def liposuction contouring procedure with fat transfer.  With a VASER Hi Def procedure you get much more than just fat removal you get tightening, toning, and cellulite improvement. Non invasive treamtents like SculpSure give small improvements where body shaping procedures like liposuction give much more of an outcome. I would see an expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer

Can be a Difficult Diagnosis

Viceral fat means that the fat is around your various intra-abdominal organs. While this may be true and all of us have some visceral fat, you also may have subcutaneous fat in the areas of flanks, abdomen, etc that would work well with SculpSure. This could potentially make you waistline slimmer even though you do have visceral fat. I would have an opinion from a specialized SculpSure center and have either an MD or Nurse Practitioner evaluate you and decide at that point

Visceral fat?

visceral fat is protected by abdominal wall muscles and sculpSure cannot reach it. Lying down test mentioned above would give you a clue as to which is which.

Am I a good candidate for SculpSure?

I am very sorry you are getting mixed signals about the type of fat you have. I would be more than happy to take a look at the areas you are concerned about if you would like to send photo's etc...

Jon E. Mendelsohn, MD
Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

What is visceral fat

Thank you for your question. Without seeing pictures, it's difficult to help you. However, if you were told at two different consultations that you have visceral fat, chances are you have visceral fat. There is an easy way to test for this - when you lie down in bed, if your stomach goes down then you do NOT have a lot of visceral fat. If, however, your abdomen stays at relatively the same height and doesn't compress, then you DO have a lot of visceral fat. The reason for this is because subcutaneous fat  (the fat outside the abdominal cavity, the pinchable fat, and that fat that SculpSure targets), will collapse when in the reclined position; visceral fat, or fat around the organs, will not. At the other consultations, they may have been accurate in stating that you still had some fat that could be treated with SculpSure - in addition to some visceral fat. And while it's true that SculpSure will eliminate in clinical studies up to 24% of fat cells, in my experience if a patient has significant visceral fat it is more worthwhile (and cost effective) to have him or her lose weight prior to the procedure - so that his or her results can be maximized. Hope that helps - at the end of the day, you may not be the best SculpSure candidate - that is, within 10-15 lbs of your ideal body weight, and having a BMI (Body Mass Index) of less than 30.