What is the Difference Between the LeJour Procedure and the Other One?

Two of my friend got the LeJour procedure and they had really good things to say about it. I just want to know the difference.. :)

Different types of mastopexy's are available.

The advice of the other plastic surgeons commenting on your question is completely accurate. The choice of technique is partly dictated by the clinical situation as well as the surgeon's philosophical preferences.

LeJour et al

When the LeJour came out, we all tried to learn how to master it... it was not easy and results were all over the chart.  Then Dr. Hall introduced her technique of a vertical breast reduction which was much easier to replicate with equally or better results in most surgeon's hands and is what most in America refer to when describing a vertical technique.  But as others have said, its just a name on a technique.  Its more important your surgeon can deliver what you desire using this technique.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast lift techniques

A LeJour breast lift is a circumvertical mastopexy.  It is one of many techniques used for breast lift surgery.  The key is matching the right operation to the right patient.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to guide your in this regard.  

Lejour vs. other breast lifts

Madame Lejour's breast is one type of vertical lift.  Claude Lassus described another that I like a good bit.  In reality, though, there are probably a dozen or more "named" types of breast lifts.  The differences really come down more to how the blood supply is managed inside the breast and how the breast is shaped.  On the outside, the difference has to do with where the scars are- and that depends on how low the nipples are and how loose the skin is.  The procedure must be customized between all these factors. 

Le Jour and other techniques

The Le Jour technique is a great option for some patients.  You have a number of options which will depend on your current anatomy.  Breast lift plastic surgery can improve the profile of sagging breasts, making breasts look more youthful and perky.Breast lift surgery is done to improve the profile of sagging breasts, changing their position on the body to appear more youthful. If you have lost volume in your breasts as well, the breast lift can be combined with breast implants to restore fullness. Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options and which procedure may be best for you.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

LeJour breast lift

The Lejour lift results in a lollipop shaped incision with a scar around the areola and vertically in the middle of the undersurface of the breast. In my opinion, it works very well in small to medium size breasts that don't need to be lifted a great distance. For larger, lower breasts, I believe the anchor lift holds the post-operative shape better over the long term.

Patti A. Flint, MD

There are a multitude of lifting techniques that differ in skin pattern excision and tissue manipulation. The name means little compared to the execution. Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of breast lifts each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Both LeJour and Wise produces ugly vertical scars

The LeJour procedure results in a vertical scar and scar around the areola. The traditional technique (Wise) results in a boat anchor shaped scar.  I do not do either of these procedures because women do not like the ugly vertical scars that cannot be hidden.  No plastic surgeon places implants through a vertical scar so why should reductions or lifts be done through that incision?  There is a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only circumareola and inframammary incisions the breasts can be reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  This technique maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.  Aligning the areola and breast tissue over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection and gives youthful appearance.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon