I want to remove this two month old tattoo. Can it be removed completely without scars? (Photo)

I am worried about scar's too.Can it be removed completely without scar?if yes,then in how many sittings and which laser is best for me. Thanks

Tattoo removal treatment planning

The tattoo on your forearm is clearly professionally done. This means it has a high ink particle density, and the particles are likely to be fairly deep. Given its location your treatments should be spaced out about 8 weeks apart. You might be able to clear this in 8 sessions if the laser systems used have excellent peak power and your provider is experienced in their use. "No scar" can never be guaranteed but with an experienced provider who doesn't go too high too quickly on the settings, and with meticulous wound care and use of a topical scar gel you could achieve complete removal with low risk of scar formation. Best,Lisa Vuich, MD

Nashua Physician

Tattoo Removal -- Pico/Q Switched Laser

Tattoos should be removed with q switched or pico lasers, we will often combine with fractional lasers to help speed the process. No matter the device it will take several treatments to see the outcome depending on your response and the technology. Please see a laser expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Can my tattoo be removed completely with no scarring?

Hello, thank you for your question. Sorry that you are not happy with your tattoo. This tattoo should be able to be removed completely, the number of treatments necessary will depend on the device being used. The newest technology in tattoo removal is the pico-second technology. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink. This pico technology can usually remove a  tattoo in about half as many treatments as the traditional Q-switch devices. One of the important things about successful tattoo removal with no scarring is the aftercare of the tattoo. (home care) 
POSTOPERATIVE TREATMENT CAREImmediately after treatment, there should be a “slight frosting” on the area that is treated. Erythema (redness) and edema (swelling) at the treatment site can occur and may last up to 2 hours or longer. Pinpoint bleeding may also occur.
An ointment (Aquaphor, bacitracin, or even Vaseline) should be applied to the treated area and covered with a non-stick bandage.
After treatment, the skin will scab over. It is very important not to pick, scratch or aggressively wash the area to prevent possible scarring. This crust should flake off in 7-10 days.
Avoid sun exposure to reduce the chance of hyper-pigmentation (darker pigmentation)
Use sun block (SPF 30+) at all times throughout the course of your treatments.
There are no restrictions on bathing except to treat the area gently, as with any other wound.Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Black Ink

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your tattoo. My preference for black ink is the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths including the 1064 wavelength to target black ink. Pico lasers are the latest technology and remove tattoos faster with less risk of scarring then older laser systems. I would recommend an in person consultation.

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal

Yes, your tattoo can be removed but you will need to wait about 4-6 months before the treatments can begin. The best and latest treatment is the Picosure laser. It can remove most all colors especially black ink. This Picosure can remove the tattoo completely without scaring.  It usually takes between 5-10 session about 6-8 weeks apart. Find a Doctor with a Picosure Laser to have a consultation.

James Shire, MD
Chattanooga Facial Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal

Thank you for your question in regards to tattoo removal. No scarring is ever guaranteed with tattoo removal. Everyone can respond different to the lasers used. Aside from seeing an experienced technician, the type of ink, the amount of ink and depth, along with proper post care are all important factors to consider to achieve the best result. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment. I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS