Can I get uneven results from CoolSculpting?

I just had coolsculpting done on my inner thighs and lovehandles. Both sides of my inner thigh is severally bruised and one side of my love handle is very bruised, however the other side appears to be perfectly fine with no bruising or swelling. Is it possible the applicator was not placed correctly?

Thank you for your question. Bruising is not an indicator of a successful treatment. It is normal for both sides to heal differently. If you are truly concerned, I would speak to your treating physician and wait the full 3 months to see the results. 

Uneven Results

While it is possible to have uneven results from Coolsculpting, the amount of bruising is not an indicator of this. Bruising is very normal after Coolsculpting treatments. It is always best to seek out an experienced Coolsculpting technician to perform your procedure. 

Best of Luck, 

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Contour from CoolSculpting

It is possible to have uneven results from CoolSculpting. However, it is unlikely that your uneven bruising indicates that your result will be uneven. Your results should start to be visible in a few weeks, with full results at 12 weeks.
The inner thigh is an area of concern with unevenness in coolsculpting, because the fat tends to be soft and fluffy there, and soft, fluffy fat tends to get the best results from CoolSculpting. What can happen in this area is that you reduce the area which was treated too well, and create an unnatural contour. This risk can be mitigated by treating the full length of the inner thigh, or using an alternative fat reduction therapy, like SculpSure, which offers a feathering effect (laser heat feathers off smoothly, creating a gentle contour). If this occurs for you, the area can be contoured with laser liposuction or SculpSure at a later date.

Mark Karolak, DO, FAOCO
Bridgewater Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes but it really depends upon the experience of the practice which is performing the coolsculpting procedure. This is not common in the hands of experienced practices.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting and Even Results NYC

Coolsculpting is a fabulous tool for the inner and outer thighs.  You can not judge the outcome of the procedure until after 4 months.  Localized swelling or bruising is not indicative of the procedure itself. Please consult an expert for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Redness and bruising after the coolsculpting treatment is not indicative as to the "effectiveness" of the treatment.
I would recommend allowing your body to heal and hopefully you will be pleased with your results.

Possible uneven results from CoolSculpting

It is possible to get redness or bruising to an area after a CoolSculpting treatment, but this does not occur in everyone and it is not unusual to just occur on one side and not the other.  The presence of redness or bruising is not indicative of any better or worse result, so I would not be concerned about only one of your love handles being bruised after the treatment.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting Results

Good questions.  I like to describe a patient's short term recovery from coolscultping as "predictably unpredictable".  What I mean by that is everyone reacts differently, and even within an individual, one area may react differently than another area.  Furhermore, the SAME area may react differently from one side compared to the other.  As with all interventions, patience is key.  Try not to have reactions or anticipations until you are "seeing the final results" which can take up to 3months.  Until then, you don't know where things will settle out/look like in the end.  It is more likely that you are just reacting differently on one side than the other rather than "it not being placed correctly".  Hope it helps.  Have patience.