Small frame, can I do 400cc moderate silicone implants instead of high profile? (photo)

My surgeon didn't really give me too much feedback. He said I could do a 400 and he might suggest high profile. I really like the natural look of moderate silicone implants though. Since my frame is so small is this possible? If so what amount of cc's could I get away with without running out of space? I have included a before picture and the results I am looking for/similar. I have close to no breast tissue and wear a 34a. When he measured from the nipple up I was 5" & 4" on the other.5'6"110lbs

Implant Selection

When determining what implant would be most appropriate to use, there are many factors that should be taken into consideration.  In my practice, I base implant selection on measurements of your chest wall and current breast size to help determine the optimal size and projection of implant that will best fit your frame and meet your goals. Your specific chest wall anatomy is a very large component of this decision, because the implant must fit your frame in order to produce an aesthetic result.  This precision measurement and sizing technique facilitates an active consultation from which you should come away feeling confident that you and your surgeon are on the same page regarding what your goals are for the procedure.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Size

Hi. Clearly by your photos you wish to be very full in shape and size.  A 400cc implant in a 5'6" patient will only take you up one cup size...it sounds and looks like you are looking for more.  Be sure you see a seasoned and experienced breast surgeon...board certified.   I would need to do some additional measurements and access your skin quality.  Hope that helps. Be sure you get another opinion.

Michael A. Giuffrida, MD
Venice Plastic Surgeon

Small frame, can I do 400cc moderate silicone implants instead of high profile?

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope me that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Size Matters

I think that the most important issues are the breast diameter and the chest diameter. These will help decide if the final look should be dictated by your anatomy or the volume you seek in order to get the best result. Lots of discussions with your surgeon to get the results you wish!

Kevin F. Ciresi, MD, FACS
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size

More important than the volume of the implant are the dimension and the shape. That means, that especially in your case of a small width chest, the base width of your breasts (that is the distance measured horizontally on the top of your breast from it most medial point to its most lateral point where the curvature starts). An implant should never have a larger diameter than this distance, otherwise you risk your breast being joined in the middle or bulging laterally beyond your frame. I usually recommend choosing the diameter at least 1/4 to 1/2 an inch below the base width. 
If the moderate profile implant that just fits this measure appears too small in volume, then (and only then) I would go to the high profile variant, especially if you are looking for a lot of roundness and not so pointy.

Looking at your pictures with your height and weight, my feeling is that 400cc is quite big for you. It is hard to tell without having examined you in person, but my guess is that a 330 to 360cc implant is plenty of volume for you. I would suggest transaxillary placement completely underneath the muscles.

I hope this helps and wish you all the best for your surgery. If done right it will most certainly be very beneficial for you.

Wolf-Gunter N. Steinmetz, MD
Germany Plastic Surgeon

Large implants on a small frame

It's going to be difficult to make you get a result like the pictures you provided as comps, particularly if you're expressing concerns about  not looking overly round.

A high profile devices is really what would be needed to get more volume if that's what your chasing. I personally would suggest coming down on the volume a little (330-370cc range) to get an implant who's width will more likely fit what I think are you breast diameter and length are preop. You'll be giving up a little size but getting a better shape with a lighter implant (ie. will be less affected with gravity over time). The "high profile" implants from Sientra are a little less projecting then the Allergan or Mentor implant, which may be a better choice if you're worried about too much projection.

Robert Oliver Jr., MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Breast base width

The footprint of your breast on your chest dictates what is a safe size to have implanted. This is called your base width... Sternum to lateral breast distance essentially. Without this measurement, hard to tell you what is safe.
Sheila Nazarian
Beverly Hills

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Breast unomant moderate or high profile

One of the critical measurements to determine breast implant size and shape is the breast base diameter. If you have a very small frame and want a large unomant then going higher profile will help prevent a moderate people unomant with the same size to protrude too lateral and obstruct your arms when walking or exercise

Hani Sinno, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

High profile

For our patients we have to take into account the amount of tissue coverage to preveht visibility of the implants. Either a moderate plus or a high profile would be best.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Small frame, 400 cc moderate profile implants

The answer to your question depends on two factors: the width of your chest wall and the width of the implant. A moderate profile implant is wider and less projecting (and less round) than a high profile implant which is more narrow, more projecting and rounder.  If you have a small, narrow frame a moderate profile implant will give you more lateral fullness  ("side boob").  If you like that aesthetic feature, which it appears you do from your wish photos, a moderate profile implant may be a better choice.  But, in order to be specific a physical examination must be done superimposing the measurements of the actual implants on your chest wall.  Good luck!
Thomas Taylor, MD
Pasadena, CA

Thomas S. Taylor, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon