Best Exercises After Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

I had Tummy Tuck with Liposuction 6 weeks ago. What are the best exercises after these procedures?

Exercise after a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

Maintaining good physical shape after surgical procedures can enhance your results in addition to the physical fitness benefits it provides. For now, I would say stay with aerobic exercise for the next six weeks, Core exercises of the abdomen will be very useful to enhance the results we hope to achieve through body contouring procedures. There are no limitations three months after surgery. Your best guide for the types of exercises that can enhance your abdomen and other areas will be a good trainer whom you trust.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Exercizes after tummy tuck

At 6 weeks post-op, you probably can go back to the gym. I always tell my patients that they should be able to gauge what is tolerable a this point. Most will be uncomfortable to perform sit-ups. I would probably avoid that activity for about 8 weeks. Weight lifting, etc.. should be restarted slowly. 

Exercizes after tummy tuck

Best Exercises: General Toning and Specific Abdominals, slowly

Bp8me2:

I am sure you have already received instructions from your plastic surgeon on this subject, but I can tell you what we tell our patients.

In the first days after out-patient tummy tuck and liposuction, we want our patients walking at home actively. After a week we suggest walking out of the home. After 2 weeks most can drive their car. After 6 weeks most can resume self-paced calisthenics, cardio, and light weights. They can do easy abdominal exercises. After a few more weeks of gradually resuming their routines they may push themselves to achieve prior goals. Follow your plastic surgeon's guidelines.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Bp8me2:

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Many exercises possible at 6 weeks after Tummy Tuck and Lipo

6 weeks after tummy-tuck and liposuction is an adequate time for many cardiovascular type exercises. Running, elliptical trainer, treadmill, fast walking are all excellent forms of aerobic exercise. Weight lifting can put a significant strain on the incisions and the sutures. It is wise to begin weight lifting slowly. 6 weeks is a fine time to start, but start slowly. Do less repetitions and less weight than you were used to doing. It is most important to let your body guide you. If you start to feel uncomfortable, stop, and drop the weight.

You must remember that these generalizations are based on a normal, routine, post-operative recovery. If you have had complications such as wound breakdown, then your surgeon will likely advise you to lengthen the time before you start exercising. Good luck.

Sirish Maddali, MD

Sirish Maddali, MD

Ease yourself back into excercise.

I agree that 6 weeks is the magic number with a tummy tuck where you can resume normal exercise. I am a bit more conservative on actual doing any abdominal work (sit-ups) until 3-4 months post op. I would start with very general and light cardio and then work your way slowly back to weights. Let your body be your guide and if you feel pain, slow way down.

Ease yourself back into excercise.

Too soon for exercise

I would actually refrain from all exercise after tummy tuck for 8 weeks.  At that time I have the patients start will low impact cardio.

Too soon for exercise

Take it slow

At 6 weeks you can slowly start to return to an ab workout. But stop if you get any pain. You want to keep that abdomen and flanks looking great so you'll need to work or tone. I personally do a huge ab workout but unless you've done a lot before it's tough to explain. You need to work the rectus and the obliques. A good program that does the whole body is the P90X. You've probably seen the infomercial. I have friends that swear by it. It tones the entire body. Give it a shot.

Take it slow

Core Strengthening The Best

Exercises that focus on core strengthening, like pilates, is always a good idea once you are able to resume exercise. Please consult your physician prior to doing so.

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Core Strengthening The Best

Louis P. Bucky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Best Exercises following Tummy Tuck and Liposuction

Light walking but not running begins immediately after surgery once you are home. Normal activity may be resumed at 3-6 weeks post operation to tolerance and that would include elliptical and light cardio. .  After the operation, exercises are recommended, such as walking immediately and progressive activities beginning on the third week. Walking, swimming, or a stationary bicycle can usually begin in a few days after surgery. Specific time periods for resumption of daily activities, work, and exercise with be further discussed by your surgeon post operation.                                                                          At 6 weeks core exercises especially crunches (starting slowly and building each week to tolerance) is particularly helpful to show your results following a tummy tuck and liposuction of the tummy.

Exercise 6 weeks after Tummy Tuck

Hi bp8me2, Your doctor has likely released you for exercise activity and instructed you on this subject, if not, you need to speak with them before doing anything. I can give you generalized advice, but you need specific to you and your case. For most of my patients at 6 weeks after surgery, I release them for aerobic exercise again, so hiking, walking, jogging, etc. Strength training may take a little longer to get back into comfortably, as even when you are working other areas of the body, the core is still engaged. My advice is always start with low weight and low reps and work your way back up to your pre-surgery routine. As far as best exercises to do, those would be great questions for a trainer! As a surgeon, I just want you to safely maintain your results. Good luck!

Exercise 6 weeks after Tummy Tuck