When can I stop wearing a bra at night after Breast Augmentation? My operation was 7 weeks ago and all is well.

I am seven weeks past my operation date and want to know whrn I can stop wearing a bra at night as I am not sleeping well. Also what is the guideline for swimming?

Breast augmentation

Ultimately, this is up to your plastic surgeon. I would recommend discussing their post operative protocols with you so you have a clear understanding. Every plastic surgeon will have slightly different aftercare instructions which work for them and their patients. Generally, by 7 weeks I tell my patients they can stop wearing a bra if they like and can also start wearing bra’s with underwire after 6 weeks. I also recommend that my patients refrain from easing back into their regular fitness routine for up to 6 weeks but to remember that it may take some time for them to return to their previous strength. Best of luck in your recovery. 
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Garments after Breast Augmentation

Ultimately your Plastic Surgeon and his or her team will need to give you the final advice regarding bras at night. However it is highly likely you have worn your garment 24/7 long enough.

How long patients are instructed to wear a bra depends very much on the surgeon. There are important factors such as pocket dissection technique, closure as well as implant type (textured implants are usually managed differently than smooth devices) that need to be taken into consideration. Immobilization can last as little as 1 week and in some cases can be recommended up to 2 months.

Once the desired time of support has passed most patients can return to all activities including swimming etc.

Give your PS a call and I'm sure advice will be forthcoming.

Best of luck in your recovery.

Dr Nodwell

Trefor Nodwell, MD
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation and garment

I do not prescribe a specific garment post-operatively in most cases.  Best to ask your surgeon what his preference is.

After breast augmentation: When can I stop wearing a bra at night?

It's always best to ask your surgeon what he or she recommends. On average I have my patients wearing a sports bra for about a week. The purpose is to help re-establish the crease under their breasts. So at one week after breast augmentation surgery they can sleep without a bra. My patients are swimming by the 21st day. Hope this information is helpful. Good luck to you. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

By 7 weeks after a normal uncomplicated breast augmentation my patients are able to swim and did not need to wear a bra at night.  However it is best that she'll contact your plastic surgeon for advice and not rely on the Internet.

Stop wearing a bra after breast augmentation

Every practice is a bit different when it comes to protocols for when different bras can be worn. In my practice, I tell my patients that a soft compression garment should be worn for 6 weeks. After this time, any bra can be worn. As far as not wearing bras. I caution that continued support with a bra takes the pressure off the weight of the implant therefore preventing stretching of the breast over time. Although not necessary to wear a bra 24/7, the more you use a bra even at night the more support you will have over time and less the likelihood of needing a lift or skin tightening procedure over time in your breast.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula 

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation post op

Thank you for your question.  It is always best to consult with your operating surgeon with questions related to post operative care as each surgeon has their own unique set of post operative instructions for their poatients to adhere to.  

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

When can I stop wearing a bra at night after Breast Augmentation?

Thank you for your question!  I would definitely discuss everything with your plastic surgeon as I do not know the details of your surgery.  However usually by this time you should be ok to return to all normal activities as well as not wearing a bra.  Best of Luck!

Dr. Tag

Breast Augmentation and Garments

Thank you for your question.  In my practice, I ask patients to wear a light weight compression sports bra for 24 hours/day for the first 4 weeks and I allow patients to return to normal activities between 4-6 weeks post-op depending upon how they are healing.  With that said, it is really up to your plastic surgeon to decide when you can discontinue use of the bra at night and when you can begin swimming.   Please follow up with your operating surgeon to discuss their specific recovery and post operative protocols as they are most familiar with your procedure and recovery thus far.  I hope this helps and I wish you the best in your recovery.  

I would suggest following the advice of your plastic surgeon. Every augmentation is slightly different, and may require more extensive compression or support if your plastic surgeon deems it necessary. For my average breast augmentation (going up 1-2 cup sizes) with no infra-mammary fold adjustments, they will wear a support bra for two weeks (including nights). After two weeks, they are free to wear whatever they wish.