Is 255cc going to appear really small? And should I get MF or LX? (photos)

I've been told that I cannot go bigger than 255cc gummys because my width is Only 11.5. :( . The doc said I can do MF but it will appear more round. When I saw the implants in person the MF just looked nicer. More full I guess you could say. I didn't really like how short and long the LX looked even tho it has extra projection. It makes me feel like I'll have a flat slope and pointy breasts. Since I'm getting a smaller implant will the MF give me the appearance of it being larger?

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Sizing of breast implants

255cc is a fairly small implant size. I have found that the Crisalix 3D imaging system along with trying implants on with a bra can be very useful.

Joshua Korman, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Is 255cc going to appear really small? And should I get MF or LX?

Although you are quite petite given your photos and measurements, it should be possible to have an implant larger than 255 cc if you desire.  This should be possible even with the MF implant.  The best way I have found to determine what size and shape implant a patient will like, is to have them try the implants on in a bra.  This will not only help you determine how they will look, but also how heavy they may feel.   Discuss your concerns with your surgeon.  But you should always feel free to get a second opinion, as well.  Best wishes, Dr Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

You can have more than 255 cc's

and if your surgeon won't do it, there are plenty down the street from him that would gladly do it for you.  Shaped implants do not guarantee more natural results but they may hold up longer if you don't experience any of the risks of the shaped implants like malrotation/malposition.  Since you are paying for this, you should get what you want, as long as you're fully informed about the what if's.

Curtis Wong, MD

Proper implant sizing

Thanks for your question and the photos.  It's only a guesstimate without seeing you in person however I choose to select the optimal implant at the time of surgery based on your actual breast shaping and size with "sizers" placed.  Since I use round smooth silicone implants I would not predetermine the implant to be used until the procedure itself.  Having said that and based on experience I would be hoping to go somewhat larger than 255 ccs estimating a size range of 265- 305 ccs.  Please remember that this is based solely on your photos so leave it to your surgeon's best judgment in advising you.  Good luck and enjoy your results. Jon A Perlman MD FACS  Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos, you appear to have a nice starting place and should have a nice result with breast augmentation surgery.The most important factor when sizing implants, is working closely with your surgeon in person to find the implant size that gives you the look that you desire. Careful measurements of your breast and chest wall will help determine which size implants will fit within your natural breast footprint. Taking into account your desired look, and your measurements, an implant is chosen that specifically fits your body. Unfortunately, online recommendations are not that helpful. Make sure that you have a good relationship with your plastic surgeon, so that you two can work together to find the right size. In my office, patients try on implants in a bra and clothing. There able to see how they look in the mirror, and in photographs. Women are also encouraged to bring in wish pictures, so that I can get a sense of the look that they would like to achieve. Good luck with the process!

Is 255cc going to appear really small? Should I get MF or LX?

At a measured chest width of 11.5cm, you're fairly narrow. It sounds as though your surgeon has chosen options within a size range appropriate for your anatomical dimensions. Your photos demonstrate a very good starting shape with minimal asymmetry. You will very likely obtain a very nice shape with either style. If you have ongoing concerns, a second opinion consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon in your area would be advisable. Best of luck to you.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

3-d imaging to simulate your results

thank you for your question. I recommend that you are a candidate to use the Vectra 3-D imaging system that I have in my office. I utilize this tool and technology to enable my patients a chance to see what different sizes look like with their frame and body. With that we can play with the sizes and different profiles to help you reach your decision. Best of luck. 

Different surgeons will get different numbers for the BWD. I suggest you see more than one consultant. With no idea of your ht and wt it is not possible to know what 255 will look like on you. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question. The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.   Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness). Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion. Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume. These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak. During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon