Do multiple/more PRP treatments for hair loss improve/increase results?

Hello, I am familiar with the "series" of injections approach when it comes to the first round of PRP injections for hair loss but can additional treatments following this first series increase results? I understand this varies patient to patient I have just heard of patients who weren't satisfied with the first round of injections go for 4th, 5th, and 6th injections to get desired results.

PRP.. Is more often better? ENGLEWOOD Cliffs NJ

This is a great question. There are several factors that will determine whether additional injections are beneficial. This  issue encompasses the duration of effect of PRP and whether a dose/ response exists. I do believe that there is a dose-response effect. Therefore,  one would need to know whether adequate PRP was injected in the first series of injections to elicit a strong response. It has been my impression, that if a adequate bolus dose has been given over multiple sessions at the beginning of treatment, for the majority of patients., that no additional injections are necessary for 4 to 6 months. However, there is a group of patients (approximately 20%) that will need extra PRP. In practice, one can inform the patient that if there is any increase in hair loss (Hair loss should be down significantly) that they need to be reinjected. You should see someone who has extensive experience in PRP. Ask to see photos. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Englewood Dermatologic Surgeon

Multiple PRP Treatments

Thank you for your inquiry.Increasing the number of your PRP could potentially be beneficial for your final result.I would start by trying the first 3 sessions and keep in mind that your results occur over an 8-12 period of time.I would recommend waiting to schedule a possible 4th or 5th treatment about 6 months or so.I hope this helps.

Reps B. Sundin, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

PRP Treatments

Thanks for your question.Yes, increasing the number of treatments can potentially increase the results.There is the minimum of treatments I would recommend.You have to keep in mind that the potential results from PRP occur over an 8-12 period.So, it is safe to do a 4th or 5th treatment, but I would wait about 6-8 months after your last treatment to give any possible results time to become evident.I hope this helps.

Burton M. Sundin, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

PRP alone can have a short-term effect on hair growth, but we have more dramatic and predictable results with a PRP combination

Thank you for your question. You’re asking about the application of platelet-rich plasma (PRP) for hair loss, and you’ve heard about people who go for more than one treatment — even 4th, 5th or 6th treatments. You’re also wondering what happens when the first round of treatments don’t work.

I can certainly help you with this. I’m a Board-certified cosmetic surgeon and Fellowship-trained oculofacial plastic and reconstructive surgeon, practicing in Manhattan and Long Island for over 20 years. I have performed hair transplants and hair management procedures for that long as well. I’m also the founder of Trichostem™ Hair Regeneration centers, which offers a non-surgical alternative treatment using PRP for hair loss and hair thinning in both men and women.

PRP is a concentration of the wound-healing and growth factors in your blood, which help stimulate collagen and blood supply. In my practice as a cosmetic surgeon, I use PRP for a lot of different indications due to its tremendous benefit: dark under eye circles, acne scars, scar revision, fine lines and wrinkles, and so on.

In terms of treating hair loss, it has been my observation that PRP can cause short-term bursts of hair growth in some patients. Many of my colleagues have developed hair loss treatment systems based on this, so it is not unusual for a doctor to have patient have a series of treatments in order to determine how well PRP works for them.

Patients who come to me after having this type of monthly treatment usually stop after four months because there is either an inconsistency with how the anesthetic is being administered, they feel the discomfort of the injection, or they are unsure if they can keep up with this type of continuous maintenance needed.

In our practice, we’ve developed our own non-surgical treatment system and protocol called Hair Regeneration using platelet-rich plasma and extracellular matrix. Hair Regeneration is able to stop the thinning process, reactivate the growth cycle of existing hairs, and thicken existing thinning hairs. With a single injection, we’ve been able to sustain these benefits for years. In some patients, we will do a second injection after the first year, but only because I’ve learned in my research that there is value in strengthening the existing hairs that we’ve been able to rejuvenate through this treatment. Our patients are often male and female patients with androgenetic alopecia, or pattern hair loss, which is the most common cause of hair loss.

From my perspective alone, and not to disparage any other physicians who use PRP for hair loss, I think that PRP alone is not as effective as our treatment combination of PRP and extracellular matrix.

I suggest that you meet with experienced and qualified hair loss specialists and discuss what you can realistically expect from PRP. Many of my colleagues swear by the effectivity of PRP for hair loss and it is not my place to say whether they are right or wrong. I can only tell you what my observations of the material are based on my own extensive experience with it. As a side note, I’ve had patients come to me from all over the world — from India and even China — just to get this one injection. So you can imagine that this treatment had better work.

Ultimately, PRP is hugely beneficial in the many modalities that we use it in, but when it comes to hair loss, Hair Regeneration is what we’ve found to be the most effective way to utilize the benefits of PRP in a consistent and sustainable manner.

I hope that was helpful and I wish you the best of luck!

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

How many treatments are necessary of PRP?

Thank you for asking this question. As with most other procedures; treatments and effectiveness are really patient dependent. In our office, we treat 8 weeks apart. We have shown great improvement with just one treatment, but again, that depends on your opinion. If you are happy with your results after one treatment, then great! If you feel you need more correction, you can be treated again at that 8 week follow up. We take photos each time so that you and I can both track your progress.

Good luck to you!!

#PRP   #hairrestoration   #hairlosss

PRP and hair growth and number of Treatments NYC

That is a great question.  Most patients benefit from a series of injections with maintenance injections.  However, there is a subset of patients who need additional treatment to have the desired hair growth.  A thorough consultation before treatment is necessary to determine if you are a good candidate and the effect of this and other treatments on your hair loss.  Best, Dr. Green