Is it ok not to use finasteride after hair transplant ?

i am 27 days post FUE operation. I am taking Priorin vitamins for 6 months as my doctor prescribed. He also recommends to take Finasteride tablets but i read some bad side effects like sexual hormone levels. i used minoxidil before and it didnt help at all. CAN I ONLY USE THE VITAMIN PILLS WITHOUT ANYTHING ELSE OR IS IT BETTER TO USE THE PILLS ?

After Hair Transplant Should One Continue Treatment with Propecia?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
If you are already on finasteride (Propecia) to prevent hair loss, you should continue using it after your hair transplant. While you do not need finasteride for the hair transplant to work, or for the transplanted hair to continue to grow, finasteride can decrease further hair loss in the areas susceptible to genetic balding.

Finasteride is not necessary after a hair transplant

Thank you for your question. Finasteride, also known as Proscar or Propecia, is an oral medication that stops hair loss in men and women. However, once stopped, hair loss will continue. Side effects for Finasteride include a higher chance of aggressive prostate cancer, erectile dysfunction, and loss of libido. It is not necessary after a hair transplant, but it is a good idea to ask your doctor why he prescribed it.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is Finasteride or Propecia a Requirement after Hair Transplant Surgery

It certainly is NOT mandatory! However, it is most likely a good idea especially if you have the potential to continue to lose more hair with time
Whereas the transplant will hopefully continue to serve you well, you should pay attention to the whole global appearance of your head which means trying to minimise future loss. There is a limit ho much hair transplantation anyone can have
If you think you will lose more hair, and you have the significant family history to suggest this, then I would definitely recommend you do something in addition to surgery. Finasteride or Propecia is by far the most effective treatment followed by Minoxidil or Regaine and Low Level Laser Therapy. Your doctor should explain to you all the benefits as well as the potential side effects

Bessam Farjo, MBChB
Manchester Hair Restoration Surgeon

Finasteride after a hair transplant

For young men under 30, the risk of shock loss is higher than for men over 40, so I generally recommend finasteride (Propecia) for these men. In the web reference blow is a post on a patient who did not take Propecia after a hair transplant and had massive shock loss of the existing native hair. This is why I recommend taking Propecia. The other vitamins you suggested will not give you that protective effect. Secual side effectis are 2% of people taking this drug and if you are one of the 2%, then you can stop the medicaiton.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Finasteride after hair transplant

Finasteride is a good medication with a very low risk of any side effect.  I always recommend patients to try finasteride and stop if they experience side effects.  Very few patients stop the medication.  It is a good idea to also use daily minoxidil.  You may think it is not helping, but with long term use it will definitely help most patients. You should discuss these issues with your physician as well to come up with a plan that you feel comfortable with.

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Is Finasteride necessary for a hair transplant success

If you are concerned with side effects of Finasteride, don't take it. The transplant will not be affected. However, the overall result would be better since Finasteride slows down further hair loss.

If you are concerned with hormone levels, it might be interesting to you to note that the drug raises testosterone slightly as it lowers the level of DHT( the breakdown product of testosterone). If you are over 50, Finasteride might have a double beneficial effect as it shrinks enlarged prostate glands.

Vitamins do no harm and probably are of neglible benefit.

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD FACS
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finasteride after hair transplant

Finasteride is definitely not required before or after a hair transplant. It is important to remember that finasteride is a very powerful tool for preventing future hair loss, so it can really help patients to get the best overall hair restoration result. Finasteride does have potential side effects, like any medication, and is a very personal choice for many patients.

Other treatments after hair transplant that are options instead of finasteride include minoxidil, topical shampoos/conditioners/serums, laser/light therapy, and PRP injections (which I always recommend to my patients).

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Propecia after hair transplant

I recommend to many of my patients to use finasteride after their hair transplant to prevent shock loss. Those are usually the patients who have significant miniaturization or active hair loss on and around the transplanted area. Patients who don't have high levels of miniaturization may not need to be on finasteride after their hair restoration procedure. 

So you have to check this with your doctor and he should be able to help you to make that decision. Vitamin pills don't help you with the shock loss prevention.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Finaterid after the hair transplant surgery

It is not a must to use finasterid but it is better to keep up for the upcoming one year to reach a compact result and then may think of your options.

Ilker Apaydin, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Finasteride after a hair transplant surgery

Finasteride was approved by the FDA and is indicated for the treatment of male pattern hair loss (MPB).  Since 5 mg Finasteride is frequently used in the treatment of prostate diseases as well, extensive clinical studies were performed in order to address the efficiency and the side effects of the drug. As with all drugs, potential side effects exist and this is true with Finasteride as well. However, the side effects associated with Finasteride only affect a small percentage (2-3 %) of the users and these side effects are mostly temporary ones. Given the effectiveness of the drug on both the original and the transplanted hair, the minor risk of potential side effects should not serve as an obstacle for the usage of the drug.

Koray Erdogan, MD
Istanbul Hair Restoration Surgeon