I have MS. My right eye droops. Do you think Botox would help?

Treatment for droopy eyelids

Thank you for your question judy caiti. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with muscle expression. One of the side effects of Botox sometimes is a droopy eyelid. If this is due to Botox then it can be treated with eye drops. If the cause is different a different treatment option would be recommended. Multiple sclerosis is a neurodegenerative disorder that can affect multiple nerves in the body. Please consult with a neurologist for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Right eyelid droop with MS

Thank you for asking about your droopy eyelid.

• Botox is unlikely to help your drooping lid.
  • This can be from the MS, or from a stretched upper lid muscle.
  • I suggest you see a neuro-ophthalmologist for a full evaluation of the cause of the droop.
  • If it is only the skin of the lid that is drooping, a lip lift will help.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Botox for droopy eyelid

Hi. Obviously an exam is needed evaluate you, but in general, Botox can not correct a droopy eyelid. Botox weakens muscles, so it would likely make your eyelid more droopy. Since you have MS, there may be a number of causes for your droopy eyelid. You may be a candidate for eyelid surgery. I recommend evaluation by an oculoplastic surgeon to determine your best options. Best regards, Ira Vidor, M.D.

Ira Vidor, MD
Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and MS

Botox is not a good choice for a patient with MS as it is a neurologic disorder. there is treatment for you and you should see a board certified oculoplastic surgeon for treatment

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Hello Judy Caiati,

Botox should not be used in patients with neurological disorders such as MS.  It would not help to raise a droopy eyelid and could make it worse.  It could also last longer in you than other patients because of MS.  

There are surgeries that can help a droopy eye if it has been that way for a long time (but if this is just an MS flare causing the droopy eye then it would likely improve with time alone).  

I would suggest your concerns with your neurologist to see if he or she has any other recommendations.  

I hope this helps and good luck.  

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

MS and Droopy Eyelid

Thank you for sharing your case.  With your history of MS, I definitely would not recommend Botox injections.  You may be a good surgical candidate to fix the problem, however.  Consider s consultation with a board certified oculoplastic surgeon to discuss your options.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Right eye droop

Thanks for your question. Unfortunately, botox and similar products are used to reduce muscle activity. Because ptosis (eye lid droop) cab be caused by muscle weakness, I do not think that botox would be helpful. Good luck!

Satyen Undavia, MD
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon