Is lipo effective for inner thighs, if I have sagging skin there?

I'm considering getting lipo to my inner & outer thighs, my back fat/love handles & the back of my knees. My main concern is my thighs, will lipo help this or is their another procedure that is better? I have a big butt naturally just sick of my huge hips & thighs.

Inner thighs

I have been very pleased and surprised by how well the skin of the inner thighs contracts after liposuction.  In many patients, the skin appears loose and "saggy," and it is thinner in general, but it contracts better than would be expected.  I have never had to do a thigh skin tightening (or thigh lift) after liposuction, but of course that depends on the examination of the skin and the patient initially.  Some patients require some type of lift, but the vast majority do not, and do very well with liposuction alone.  

Loose skin and liposuction

Loose skin is the enemy of liposuction.

Loose skin often feels like excessive amounts of subcutaneous fat, limits the potential results and often leaves patience dissatisfied from liposuction.

There is really no substitute for an in person consultation to find out if you're a good candidate and what would be the best procedure for you.

As a general statement outer thighs respond very well to liposuction. Internecine also responded very well.

The back often has loose skin limiting the potential improvement from liposuction.

Inner thighs also are limited in many cases by loose skin.

Liposuction of that Inner thighs are also technically difficult.

This area is prone to indentation, uneven contours and skin compromise if the procedure is not done well or patient selection is not appropriate

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Liposuction for saggy inner thighs?

Thank you for asking about yourn inner thigh liposuction.

If your skin is sagging already, liposuction will remove the fat and make the skin sag more.  For fat reduction, there is no question that liposuction is the best treatment. But if you have a lot of fat on your thighs, it is important to see a plastic surgeon to find out how much fat can be removed in what places for a good result.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Inner Thigh Laxity

Unfortunately, without an examination or at least photos, you can not expect an intelligent answer. Please visit a few ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons capable of performing not only liposuction, but all body contouring procedures; they will be most honest about the possibilities and limitations of liposuction.  Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Inner thigh liposuction

The inner thighs are very delicate areas to treat with liposuction. The skin is usually thin, with less elasticity than skin in other areas. That means that the surgeon must be more conservative and cautious in these areas. For inner thigh liposuction to produce a noticeable and satisfactory improvement, the skin must be of fairly good quality and elasticity. If it's very stretched and sagging, the results will likely be poor with liposuction alone. A procedure to excise and tighten skin (thigh lift) would then be advised.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

You raise a good point liposuction and sagging skin. Liposuction does well in patients who skin is elastic and can shrink after the fat is removed. As sagging skin is present before liposuction is performed, then liposuction will only make the sagging worse. In that situation a removal procedure is recommended, such as a thigh lift.

Inner Thigh Lipo -- Get VASER HI DEF for the most contouring and tightening

I find that VASER hi def contouring combined with thermiRF is the best in this area. I suggest you see only an expert as there are a lot of problems that can occur if the procedure is done improperly.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction is very helpful for fullness of the inner thigh area as long as the skin is healthy and can contract. Liposuction in an area where the skin is already loose will just make the skin looser. It might be better to look at a thigh lift. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Hello dear, thanka for your post and provided information as well. 

Thigh lift surgery reshapes the thighs by reducing excess skin, and in some cases fat, resulting in smoother skin and better-proportioned contours of the thighs and lower body.

If fitness and weight loss efforts have not achieved your goals for a body that is firmer, more youthful-looking and more proportionate to your overall body image, a surgical lift may be right for you.

Good candidates are:

• People whose weight is relatively stable
  • Individuals with excess soft tissue along the inner or medial thigh region and/or the outer thigh
  • Healthy individuals who do not have medical conditions that impair healing or increase risk of surgery
  • Non-smokers
  • Individuals with a positive outlook and realistic goals for what thigh lift surgery can accomplish
  • Individuals committed to leading a healthy lifestyle, including proper nutrition and fitness

I recommend to contact a certified plastic surgeon to talk about your goals. 

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Thank you for the good question.  A good outcome with liposuction surgery does depend, to a great degree, on the quality of skin overlying the area of adipose tissue that is being treated.  If you have "sagging skin" presently, then it is likely that you will not be a good candidate for liposuction surgery.  

Generally speaking, the inner thighs can be a problematic area when it comes to liposuction surgery;  the skin in this area is relatively thin  and potentially will not "bounce back" as well as other body parts will.  In person evaluation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next best step. Best wishes.