Botox taken for hyperhidrosis not working properly.

I'm suffering from excessive sweating in my palms, feet and armpits. So I have taken botox 100 units for both my palms (each 50 units). After 15 days botox started function and sweat got stopped completely. But to my surprise the sweat got stopped in palms, foot and armpits also but botox stopped functioning in 20 days. I need some clarity on how botox function and what exactly happened in our scenario.

Botox for excessive sweating / hyperhidrosis

Botox is an excellent treatment for most patients with localized hyperhidrosis or excessive sweating of the armpits, hands, feet or other areas. The duration of effect is variable, and depends on the area treated, as well as the amount of Botox used. I would try 100 units per armpit and per hand, and per foot to improve your duration.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for hyperhidrosis

Botox is an excellent treatment for hyperhidrosis.  It affects the nerve signals to both the muscles and the sweat glands.  When injected into the face for wrinkles, it improves wrinkles cause by muscle movement by reducing the nerve signal to the muscle, thereby relaxing the muscles in the face, resulting in an improvement in wrinkles.  For sweating, the nerve supply to the sweat gland is reduced, and so the sweating is dramatically reduced after treatment.  

One reason the botox may have been shortlived is inadequate dosing.  I usually start with 100 units into each palm, and sometimes go as high as 150 in each palm.  I think this is why it did not last long.  Another explantion, although not as common, is that some people develop antibodies to botox when used, and the botox stops working effectively.  This is possiblle but uncommon.  I would try higher dosage first, and if not better, than another comound like dysport can always be tried instead of botox

Roni Munk, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for hyperhidrosis

In the context of excessive sweating (hyperhidrosis) botox can be effectively used in specific body parts. It works exceptionally well in most patients in the axilla followed by palms. Typical results should last much longer than 20 days, as most of the patients only need follow-up injections 2-3 times per year. You will need to follow up with the original injector to discuss such unusually short duration. Also, most of the effect is localized so it's hard to explain how you stopped sweating in other body sites. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for sweating

Thank you for your question vigneshselvaraj. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions. It can also be used in the underarms, palms, and soles for excessive sweating. Most people enjoy these results for up to 6 months, typically longer than that on the face. If the Botox stopped working I would follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician