Average Amount of Botox Units to Lift Brows?

How many units of Botox is typically needed to give a slight lift to the brows of a female? Thank you.

Amount of Botox units to lift brows

The eyebrows are naturally lifted by the muscles of the forehead. If these muscles are weakened by injecting BOTOX ® into the forehead, the eyebrows will relax or pull down a small amount.

To counter this down turn, BOTOX ® may be injected just into the muscles just beneath the eyebrows.

If the only desire is to lift the eyebrows a small amount, then a small amount of BOTOX ®, perhaps 2 or 2.5 units of BOTOX® may be injected just beneath each eyebrow. It is important to point the injection needle superiorly to avoid downward dispersement of the BOTOX®.

Botox to Lift Lateral Brow

Generally I use 2 1/2 -4 units each side to lift the tail of the brow. It is injected more superficially than other areas and should be done by an expert injector. Botox is a muscle paralyzing substance that is injected into or near facial muscles by a doctor or nurse injector to weaken or prevent it from working for a period of months.
It may seem counter-intuitive that paralyzing facial muscles can lift your brow, but this is exactly how Botox works. Our faces have muscles that pull in opposing directions, so in the case of the brow the idea is to paralyze the muscles that pull downward while leaving the ones that lift the brow untouched.

Average Amount of Botox units needed to LIFT the Brows

A Brow list should be symmetrical, lifting the whole arch NOT only the lateral side of the brow arch. Stated another way, we want to raise the center and sides of the arch equally without getting only a surprised Mr. Spock - raised lateral brow look (to learn all you need to know about BAD BOTOX, follow the link below).

The brows have LEVATOR (lifting) muscles and DEPRESSOR muscles. In putting Botox to lift the brow arches we want to weaken the brow depressor muscles giving the lifting muscle less opposition.

to do so 20 -25 units of Botox are placed in the corrugator muscles on the bridge of the nose / between the brows. Then about 10-15 additional units are placed under the side brow in the portion of the orbicularis muscle which pulls the brows down.

I bring my patients back in 7-10 days to check on their progress and see if touch-ups are needed.

Dr. P. Aldea

Skill of injector more important than number of Botox units.

Hi.

When doing Botox in New York City, we typically use 50 units for a brow lift.  You can get away with less, but it doesn't last as long.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Botox for brow lift vs wrinkle reduction

Usually, Botox is used reduce wrinkles of the forehead. If this is not done carefully, the brows can also fall a bit, or become ptotic. To prevent this Botox can be injected into the forehead depressors, and depending on the desired effect, I use about 4 units per side.

Expect to use about 20-25 units Botox to raise lateral eyebrows

Botox only works about half of the time to raise lateral eyebrows. It looks great when it does work but don't be disappointed if it doesn't do it every time. 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Brow shaping with Botox

Thank you for your question. Shaping the brows is one my favorite parts of using Botox. It requires a very detailed understanding of the underlying anatomy as well as assessing each individual while they are animating their brows. By carefully placing Botox in the muscles that depress the brow, you can cause the brow to rest and relax in a lifted position. There are limits to how much you can lift, and for some surgery is better option. Incorrect assessment or placement can also lead to the reverse effect, so overall technique is critical. You can also shape the brow different. For example, you can raise the tail of the brow vs creating a raised arched brow vs creating a raised horizontal brow. It depends on the individual's desired brow aesthetic goals. I would consider this a very advanced technique so I would query your injector on their experience in this area.
As far as how many units may be needed, this also depends on which part of the brow you want to correct. For the inner brows, you may consider ~20 units (same as the frown line treatment). For the middle or outer brow, I generally use up to 5 units on each side.
You may also want to consider adding fillers to shape and raise the brow. Combining the two products can work synergistically together.

Amount of Units required for a brow lift

It depends on how much of a lift and if you are looking for medial and lateral or just lateral.  I would recommend researching for a skilled injector and set up a consultation so that your muscle movement can be evaluated.  But on an average, if you are looking at lifting medially and laterally which would also take care of your "11's", approximately 26-32 units.  

David V. Poole, MD
Altamonte Springs Plastic Surgeon

Botox dosing for lifting of brows

A very general dosing would be 20 units to the glabellar area to lift the inner brows while relaxing the muscles reponsible for the "11's" or frown lines.  In addition, dosing the lateral  or outside tail end of the eyebrows at a key point with 5 units each side is a nice way to compliment the brow lift.  Some will benefit from dosing along the eye muscle as well.

Make certain that you choose a practitioner that understands your goals and tailors the treatment plan to meet those goals.

The below link offers further information on brow lifts with Botox.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Botox Brow Lift

Brow lift from Botox injections are a nice surprise for patients just expecting improvement of the "11's" between the brows. Adding a bit of Botox to the lateral brows in addition to treating the glabella usually gives a nice brow lift. In general, about 24 units will do the trick but more may be needed.

Allison J. Stocker, MD
San Antonio Dermatologist