Losing weight after implants?

i will be going to have breast augmentation tomorrow with 440gram implants. My surgeon said that losing more than 5kg will affect the implant ( that you may be able to see the lining of the implants etc). But if I lose 5kg of fat and gain 5kg of muscle, does that mean I've stayed the same weight? Or does he mean that I can't lose 5kg of fat?

Losing weight after implants?

Thank you for the question. Although weight loss will not have a direct effect on your breast implants, significant weight loss may affect the appearance of your breasts in general.

It is difficult to predict how a specific young lady's breasts will change with weight loss; how the breasts were affected historically with weight loss may be the best indication how you will do.
Generally speaking, significant weight loss can lead to some change in breast tissue (and/or nipple/areola) position; this “sagging” is called breast ptosis medically.

Sometimes, patients who lose weight will have a smaller amount of breast/soft tissue coverage overlying the breast implants; this change in breast anatomy may lead to a greater degree of breast implant palpability and/or rippling. In these cases, the breasts may also appear smaller.

Therefore, generally speaking, it is in patient's best interest to achieve a long-term stable weight prior to undergoing elective breast surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link, help.

Weight loss after BA

Thank you for your inquiry and congratulations on your decision to undergo a breast augmentation surgery.

Simply, a reasonable weight loss should not impact of the size of a woman's breasts.
That being said, fat tissue takes a fairly good percentage of the total breast volume and so considerable weight loss may affect the size of the breasts moderately.As for gaining 5 kg of muscle, I doubt that this volume will be completely focused in the chest area and so you may not be benefiting extensively from this increase in muscle mass.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Losing weight after implants

Hello, some people do not find that their breast size changes much with minor weight loss or gain, but other report a big change.  It is hard to predict the effect of a 5kg weight loss on their breast implant result.  It would also depend on other factors like the amount of pre-existing breast tissue, skin tone, nipple position, etc.

Losing weight after breast augmentation

If you have small breasts and are not getting a lift I doubt it will matter. If  you have larger breasts that are a little saggy then it could matter. We all lose and gain weight in different places.  That would be for your to know. You could have a 10pound weight gain or loss and no change in shape of your breast, just your legs and butt.  I am not sure your PS can predict that.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Lose weight before or after plastic surgery and #breastaugmentation ?

Hi Kymmy, Thank you for sharing your breast implant question about losing weight after surgery.  In our plastic surgery clinic there are numerous reasons why we prefer our patients attain their ideal weight in advance of surgery.  Your plastic surgeon is correct in that weightloss may make the implant edges more visible, however this is not always the case.  In your situation I would be sure to continue following up and keep in close contact with your plastic surgeon after your procedure.  I hope this has been helpful and wish you the best.
Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Losing weight after breast augmentation

Optimum results of surgery are achieved when patients are at their ideal wieght prior to surgery as fluctuations in weight can impact on the aesthetic results of your surgery.  There is no way to determine whether or not you will loose fat from your breasts if you decide to loose weight.  If you are already lean and you loose fat from your breasts then its possible that the "edges" of the implant will become more visible.  Fatty tissue provides coverage for the implants, replacing it with muscle will not have the same affect.  If you are an average weight then its unlikely 5kgs will make a significant difference.  Good luck with your surgery.

Weight Loss After Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Losing a significant amount of weight after breast augmentation can thin the tissue covering your breast implants, making the implant edges more visible. This is mostly a concern for the area of the breast implant not covered by muscle. 

Good luck on your surgery

Losing Weight

Hi 

It all depends on where you are starting from, the thinner you are and the less coverage you have covering the implant the more any imperfections will show through.

If you are already lean and have little soft tissue than losing too much weight (fatty tissue) will increase the risk of rippling and edge palpability of the implant - this will be most noticeable in the area not covered by the chest muscle - bottom and lateral.

As has already been mentioned - you cannot control where you lose fatty tissue. Some people are more sensitive and if they lose weight will notice it a lot around the chest / breast region and some don't, so its difficult to say if it will be a problem for you or not...

Weight loss and augmentation

Firstly I hope your surgery went well!!!

I wouldn't get too fussed about the weight loss. No one can control where they lose their weight from, it may be from around your chest but it probably won't be.

If your surgery goes well and you are happy with the shape, then just get on with your life. If you choose to lose weight that is great!!! 5kg shouldn't make a massive change.

My opinion would be to cross that bridge when or if it becomes a problem.

Best wishes

Richard

Weight Loss and Augmentation

If you lose fatty tissue, there is less to hide the implant. Most notably where the is NO muscle coverage. Thus if you do lose weight, often you run the risk of exposing your implants more and creating visible edges. 

Continue to follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you progress as planned. Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD