Botox for wide lower cheeks when smiling? (Photo)

When I smile my face shape turns box like , puffing my lower cheeks out . Would Botox to the masseter muscle help this ?

Botox for the masseter

Thank you for your question jemiliajone. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkels associated with facial expression. In the lower face Botox can be placed in the masseter to contour the lower face. This is the muscle used for biting so it will get smaller if a person bites down when smiling. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Encino Physician

Masseter muscle reduction with Botox

Thank you for the pictures.

I do not believe that your masseter muscles are prominent enough (based on the 2nd picture) such that masseter muscle reduction will reduce the 'puffing out of your cheeks when you smile'.

Best
Dr Karamanoukian

Botox for puffy lower cheeks

Botox treatment to the masseter muscle can be useful for slimming the jawline, but it would likely not help with the fullness you see when you smile. It actually may make the fullness appear relatively worse.

the fullness is being created by the muscles pulling at the corners of the mouth and lower lip. When they pull to the side and down they cause the lower cheek tissue to "puff out".   These muscles can be treated with Botox to reduce the amount of cheek tissue displacement by reducing the muscle pull at the mouth. 

Keep in mind that these injections will alter the shape of your smile causing less show of the lower teeth, so be certain your injector has expert knowledge of facial aesthetics and anatomy. 

Best regards. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon