What is the upper excess weight limit for SculpSure (how many pounds overweight) for it to be successful?

I'd like to lose 30 pounds but it's pretty even among my hips, thighs, stomach and upper arms. I am leaning toward SculpSure for my stomach since it takes about half the time that CoolSculpting does, but I believe it's pretty new. I have excess weight on my stomach after a 360 lumbar fusion and wondered if SculpSure might work for that?

Multiple SculpSure treatments may be needed

Hello jag512, To achieve the best results with SculpSure it is recommened to lose the weight first. With a higher BMI you will need multiple treatments. SculpSure is meant to destroy the fat cells in stubborn areas and to contour the body. I would recommend consulting with your provider to see if you are a good candidate for SculpSure. Our patients love SculpSure!

SculpSure Weight Guidelines

Hi Jag,
This is a great question. In general, SculpSure is indicated for patients with a Body Mass Index of 30 or less. Google "BMI Calculator" and you can find yours. That said, every person's body is different. If you look at the photos even on RealSelf, most of the patients with the best benefit are in the normal weight to overweight category, rather than obese. My advice would be to get started on your weight loss regimen and do everything you can to complete that lumbar fusion recovery (speedy recovery on that process, by the way). You can do SculpSure without any downtime and we like people to be active afterwards as it speeds up the result. In terms of SculpSure versus CoolSculpting, SculpSure every time. More dramatic, smoother, and faster results; less side effects, less discomfort, less visits, less visit time, and usually less money. Hope that helps.

Patrick W. Blake, MD
Encinitas Dermatologist

#sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Procedures

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future. The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.  The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health. The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.  It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.  If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12. 

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of our patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.  I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results. 

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals. 

Take care,

Dr. Schwartz  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure fat loss

Thank you for your question. SculpSure works for excess fat or stubborn areas of fat. There is no way of telling exactly how many pounds each patient will lose after each treatment. All of the areas you mentioned can be treated as long as it is approved by the doctor you consult with (i.e. hips, thighs, stomach and upper arms). Patients that are normal to overweight will see the best results over patients that are obese. I recommend consulting with a qualified physician for a full consultation. Good Luck!

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Upper excess weight limit for SculpSure

There is no specific weight limit to undergo SculpSure. But you must understand that the heavier one is, the more treatments it may take to see a reasonable or satisfactory result. More importantly, these types of non-invasive treatments are best intended for body contouring and shaping of smaller, more localized areas, and are not designed for weight loss. You cannot expect to lose 20 or 30 pounds with this, it is about giving a better contour or shape, and letting your clothing look and feel better. You must also consider that the more treatments you have to do, the cost will increase accordingly.

Craig Schwartz, DO
Leawood Vascular Surgeon

Weight upper limits for Sculpsure treatment.

Thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

There is truly not a set upper limit for weight when undergoing Sculpsure treatments. The higher the weight, the more treatments that will be needed for the achievement of your goal contour. Finally, skin might be redundant at the end of the treatment.

Finally, make sure that you have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Wishing you the best in your journey

SculpSure and Fat Melting

If you are overweight noninvasive treatments do very little they only work to remove 15-20% of the area treated in a single round.  I suggest you lose weight and then use the sculpsure for contouring.  Although there is no harm to getting treatments.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Sculpsure is safe

Sculpsure is a safe treatment for a heavy patient that needs to lose 30 pounds.
You can use it to help shape your most annoying bulges and use this to jump-start your weight loss.
Jumpstarts by treating yourself early can give you the momentum for some serious diet modification.
Dr. Denlker

Sculpture for "obese?"

Sorry, but if BMI is over 30 the word is obese. I assume you are >30 by question. I do not follow these guidelines but proper information should lead a patient to understanding that  more than one treatment on an area could be done--FDA showed one--that is ridiculous for some people! However, there is a financial problem here and needs to be considered before shelling out big $. An interval of 6 weeks between multiple treatments on one area would work. If you did this over many areas, diet/exercise or invasive liposuction would be more economical. Different things for different people.( BMI 30=5foot4,175#; 5'2,165))Good luck.

SculpSure like CoolSculpting, liposuction, and tummy tucks is for contouring.  SculpSure is a new technique to disrupt fat cells and let you body deal with the debris leading to a reduction of fat in the areas treated.  It is  for individuals who are not overweight with a body mass index under 30 and ideally with a body mass index under 25 and very local areas of concern.  It is quick and painless with no down time, which makes it attractive for the very active individuals who does not want any disruptions in there routine.  For individual with indexes between 25 and 30, more that one treatment may be necessary to achieve improvement.  Best to consult with a board certified plastic surgery who can evaluate you for not only non surgical options but surgical options as well.