When will Kybella's price drop?

I've read that Kybella's prices are only temporarily sky-high and will come down due to lack of demand at the current price. How long do you think it will take until Kybella costs about as much as Botox? Did other injectables, like Botox, follow a similar price trajectory where they were very expensive at first and then became more accessible? Also, what would you consider a reasonable price per vial of Kybella once it settles down?

It is extremely high priced.  The medication has been around for years and is dirt cheap!  it is the study and marketing that cost so much.  I would bet the price will stay high.  There are many more effective cost effective treatments!

Find someone with experience with deoxycholate and they can tell you the story.

Good luck!

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Kybella cost

This is interesting question since this is such a new product on the market. From an Econ 101 standpoint, currently supply is high and demand is low, so by that token it is as cheap as it will ever be. There are only a few of us who can even inject it in the country right now, and as that number grows, the price me too.

Allergan, the makers of Botox, who recently just bought Kybella, started with one price for Botox initially, and as it became more popular later on actually increased the price. That was initially not well received, obviously, but the price reflected the ever increasing demand.

It will be never be the same price as Botox. It is a different drug, indication, and dosage than Botox is. It may be priced in the same manner as Botox, that is by amount that you receive, which is determined by the surface area that you need treated.

Cameron Chesnut, MD, FAAD, FACMS
Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

Kybella cost

The high supply vs. low demand scenario for determining pricepoint does not work if the product supplied is dramatically overvalued by the seller. The market will eventually adjust for that glaring problem. I had a patient today interested in the treatment. A 16k quote for Kybella vs. 3.5k for liposuction is pretty self-explanatory. This will be a niche product for patients with very little neck fat.

Daniel P. Friedmann, MD
Austin Dermatologic Surgeon

Will the price for #Kybella drop? #doublechin injection

I would not anticipate the price to drop any time soon. The company has a very strict training program in place which is great. However, this will mean that few injectors have access to the product in the coming months. That lack of injectors will mean that prices will not fall any time soon as demand for the product is very high. Short answer - Kybella prices will likely be stable for quite some time.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella cost

I like your question as I thought the price seemed pretty high too. But what you must understand is that a company has to recoup the money they have to spend to get a "drug" FDA trial done. This literally can cost hundreds of millions of dollars. That is why "branded" drugs, when they first come out, cost so much. Because Allergan is purchasing Kythera, the maker of Kybella, there is a theory that the price could change simply because Allergan can afford to do this more, and incorporate it into their already large arsenal of products, also allowing physicians to get tiered pricing discounts based on already having large Allergan accounts. All of this is TBD. But like you, I hope that the price will change in the future!

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Pricing of Kybella in the USA

Allergan acquired KYBELLA from its original distributor and is working hard to market it to the mass media. Since it is a prescriptive medication with limited  FDA-approved uses, pricings will doubtfully be reduced until demand is higher --- if  then....

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Kybella and Price

It is very frustrating to physicians that Allergan acquired Kybella and decided to price the injections so high. The price of Botox goes up every year as do all of the other injectables sold by Allergan.  I don't envision the price for Kybella going down unless patients refuse to pay for the injections.  Cool-mini by Coolsculpting can get rid of submental fat in just an hour and is much less expensive. Only time will tell if the price goes down but Allegan has never dropped the price of any of its products.  There is currently no competition for Kybella on the market and that is the main reason it is so expensive. Best, Dr. Green

When will Kybella's price drop

The prices will not drop because the company is only allowing a limited number of doctors to perform these treatments. Therefore these treatments are not as readily available. My thoughts are that the prices will not change much in the near future.

Vu Ho, MD
Plano Facial Plastic Surgeon

Kybella's Price? No One Knows.

Kybella is expensive.  Whether the price goes up or down depends on how the sales go, and how satisfied the patients are in the long term.  For the short term, I believe the price will be pretty stable. 

Cost of Kybella

I don't anticipate that the price of Kybella will change dramatically anytime soon. From a financial perspective, it is ideal for patients who only have a mild-moderate amount of submental fat. Those patients with significant amount of submental fat would be better served with liposuction from a financial standpoint. I don't expect that Kybella will ever cost the same as Botox. Botox and other fillers have actually increased in price, as the demand continues to increase.

Sarmela Sunder, MD