How long after lipo can you get more? Not seeing the results I hoped for.

I'm 4 months post op and still have rolls. I thought I would be 80% by the summer but I still can't sit down without rolls bulging. My doctor continues to tell me to be patient and that lipo takes up to 12 months to heal. I have no kids. I had close to 4 liters removed of the upper and lower back, flanks and abdomen. I still wear my compression 24/7. Other pics I see people are small within 8weeks. Why is my procedure taking so long? When will I see results? When I can I get more taken out?

Liposuction - not seeing the results I wanted

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • This is totally frustrating and I truly understand.
  • You had a lot of fat removed so there should be results -
  • Reasons why a person doesn't see results - besides swelling - can be if you gained weight or if the roll now is from loose skin. .
  • So - give yourself another 2 months at least and then see your surgeon to discuss whether additional liposuction should be done....remember, you will swell again so be prepared.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting -- HI DEFINITION REVISION

It takes weeks to see the results of liposuction and swelling can last for months. Massage, RF treatments, Venus Legacy and hyperbaric oxygen will drastically reduce swelling. After this time, if you are still unhappy its likely you will need a revision procedure. I suggest a 4D HI DEFINITION contouring specialist if you want fat removal and contouring. I suggest continuing to follow your physicians post-op protocol and discussing any further treatment plans after all swelling has subsided. Best, Dr. Emer

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though nothing replaces an in-person examination or full series of photographs, 4L is a large volume of liposuction to have had performed and can cause prolonged swelling in the treated areas.  By four months you should have seen steady improvement in your results but may still have swelling camouflaging your long-term appearance.  I would discuss your current results with your doctor to compare before and after pictures and/or measurements to see more objective evidence of improvement.  Hope this helps. 

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Dr Derby

You start to see great results within 4-8 months after. I would really talk to your doctor how he projects your final results after a year and see if you would happy with that. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD