I'm 38 & noticing sagging jowls. It's more on my left hand than my right & feel like my cheeks are drooping. Suggestion? (photo)

I don't really want an invasive procedure at this point and wondering if there are good alternatives to surgery. I also want to know how important physical activity is and if jogging is out of the question by making my sagging condition worse. Is there a way to prevent sagging jowls by doing some sort of treatment regularly? Thanks!!

Doctor Answers 6

Facial droop

Hello. At 38, I believe that you could respond quite nicely to Ultherapy. You mentioned that your L side is more pronounced than your R side. I have often found that this type of asymmetry is due to sleeping on one side more than the other.In your case, it seems that you most likely sleep on your L side.

Toronto Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

Ultherapy To Tighten Lower Face & Neck!

The Ulthera is one of the most powerful tools to non-invasively tighten the skin of the lower face and neck. For the best consultation it would be great to see how your cheeks are....if there are signs of volume loss then addressing this with fillers will help to rejuvenate your midface and elevate sagging skin or pre-jowels. In combination a tightening treatment and dermal fillers will provide the most natural outcome. I recommend seeing a qualified dermatologist to discuss your treatment plan. Best, Dr P.

Kaleroy Papantoniou, MD, FAAD
Great Neck Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Non Surgical Neck Lift

Non-Surgical Neck Lift
Your non-surgical options are dictated by your specific needs which may include any of the below measures:
1)improving banding: Botox
2)improving under the chin fullness: Liposuction with oral sedation
3)improving skin looseness: VIORA REACTION radiofrequency
A consultation would allow a doctor to customize your treatment plan.

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS
Orange County Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 68 reviews

An ultrasound or radiofrequency based skin tightening procedure would be helpful

Based on your age and the photos provided, I think you would be an excellent candidate for a noninvasive or microinvasive skin tightening procedure such as Ultherapy or ThermiRF. Ultherapy uses ultrasound heating to tighten the skin and underlying tissues whereas ThermiRF uses radiofrequency heating.  In our practice, we even do a combination of the two in a treatment unique to our practice called Ulthermi Fusion.

Please consult with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon in person to determine a treatment plan that will provide you with the best results.

I hope this answer is helpful! Best of luck.

Tracy Leong, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Sagging skin at age 38

It is not uncommon to start noticing some sagging at your age. As early as in our mid-to-late 20's we start loosing collagen and elastin each year. At this time, you are a candidate for several non-invasive laser treatments. To improve the laxity you can consider Ultherapy or a Radiofrequency device like Thermage. Ulthera is an ultrasound based device that is FDA approved for non-surgical skin lift.
You can also consider treatments that will stimulate collagen production and will help with texture and tone of your skin. Fraxel would be another laser that you can use to stimulate collagen production, it will be corrective and preventative in the long
You should have a consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist in your area so you can discuss the best treatment that will suit your current needs. You are at a great age to make a difference in your skin.
All the best!

Supriya Tomar, MD
West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
3.7 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Early gravitational facial aging

At 38 you are a good candidate for noninvasive alternative such as facial fillers and/or tightening devices such as Thermage or Ulthera.

John L. Burns Jr., MD
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 45 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.