8 days post-op; one implant is much higher than the other?

I'm 8 days post op (from saline to teardrop silicone) and my left breast is much lower than the right. The left implant seems to be sitting deeper and the skin underneath the breast looks fully stretched. The right implant is sitting much higher while the skin underneath appears to be wrinkled and bruised. Can I expect the right to move into similar position or is the result due to the implants placement?

Implant not dropping

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

1 week post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
Its too early to talk about final results.
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast asymmetry

Normally I would say that slight asymmetries in the postoperative period are to be expected. Breasts will swell differently and settle at different rates. However, you say that it is "much lower ". Especially given the fact that textured gummy bear implants do not drop and settle as much, I think the best advice would be to make an appointment with your surgeon to be examined to assess the situation.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

One implant is much higher than the other.

In general it can take several weeks for implants to drop and settle. However if you have a teardrop textured implant they might not move as the texture is meant to hold the position and orientation of the implant. The safe thing is to let your surgeon have a look.

It may take several months for the breast to completely settle into their final position. Continue to follow up with your surgeon as he/she is the best one to analyze you and determine the best postoperative care for you. Sometimes, the implant can be helped to settle by wearing a strap or a sports bra pulled over the top of the right breast, but again, check with your surgeon.

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery!  If anatomical implants were placed I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person examination.  Anatomical implants are designed to neither move nor change its volume much after surgery, as opposed to round silicone implants.  As a result your two breasts may have some subtle asymmetries but nothing significant.  Without a photograph or in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite advice so I would voice your concerns to your surgeon.  Hope this helps. 

8 days post op and 1 implant higher than the other

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon for one implant to be higher than the other.  It can take several weeks or months for the implants to settle into their final position.  At 8 days it would be too early to see the final result.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

B

I appreciate your question.

Right now, you are very early on in the post op recovery period. It will take 3-6 months for you to feel comfortable having implants in your body and for them to settle. This time allows for you to physically and psychologically adapt to your new body image. There are many variables that contribute to a breast augmentation's final result. Preop size and shape, IMF location, location of the implants and type of implant. Patients heal at different rates and each breast will sometimes heal at a different rate. Rest, relax, recover and heal. Please Express your concerns to your surgeon so he/she can examine you at this time. Then reassess final result at 6 months.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Wait for some time

he final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Post Operative Results

Thanks for your question and congrats on getting through breast augmentation surgery.  You are still very close to your surgery date and your final result can take weeks to months to even out.  Keep you post op appointments and share any concerns with your surgeon.

All the best!
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon