Options To Treat Asymmetric Uneven Eyebrows and Sometimes Eyelid? (photo)

Hi, I am wondering what options I have for my uneven eyebrows. My left eyebrow is a lot higher than my right eyebrow, and when I'm tired my right eyebrow tends to droop even more. The reason why it bothers me is because it completely changes my facial expressions. I have tried stimulating the muscles, massages, make-up etc but its not helping. Thank u in advance!

Eyebrow Asymmetry

Eyebrow asymmetry can be traced to a number of causes, from prior trauma (or surgery), neuromodulator injections, or underlying asymmetry in the craniofacial skeleton. All humans have some degree of asymmetry in our faces, but if has become bothersome to you, I would recommend and evaluation by an expert in facial analysis to take into account your complete facial structure. There are a number of treatments that may be beneficial for an asymmetric brow, from injections of dermal fillers or neuromodulators, such as Botox, to surgical procedures including ptosis repair, blepharoplasty, or a number of various browlifting procedures.

Kirkland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyebrow asymmetry

Eyebrow asymmetry can be a sign of other facial asymmetries such as upper eyelid ptosis, excess upper eyelid skin, or even botox injections.  To be able to evaluate what is causing the eyebrow you must evaluate the face as a whole.  Techniques to lift the brow include botox injections (even fillers), and endoscopic or open brow lifts.

Ana Carolina Victoria, MD
Miami Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven Brows or lids?

I would obtain an evaluation by an eyelid or facial expert who can help you determine the cause of the uneven nature of your brows. We all have minor asymmetry on each side of our face (one side is shorter and one side is longer) and can have a tendency to have a tired appearance later in the day. I thorough review of photos and symptoms can rule out any systemic causes of droopiness as well prior to attributing your issues entirely to asyemmetry.

Sean Paul, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven asymmetry options

Asymmetry in your brows can be cause by uneven amount of skin or by the uneven force of the musculature in the periorbital area or both. It is important to evaluate all possibilities to corrected. Botox will work temporarily to correct the muscular problem and surgery of course will be much more long lasting result

Alejandro J. Quiroz, MD, FACS
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

#Uneven #eyebrows can be treated with #browlift or #botox

Thank you for your photos.  It does appear that you have some assymmetry.  One onon-invasive option would be to perform botox injection around your eye to the lower side.  this would allow the muscle of your forehead to pull unopposed and rise higher.  Another, more permanent option, would be to perform a one-sided browlift on the lower side.  Best to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Salvatore Pacella, MD, MBA, FACS

Assymetrical brow lift

The best option is to treat the lower brow with Botox at it's connection to the glabella and at it's lateral crow's foot region releiving the pull down affect from those muscles.  This will "float" the lower brow closer to symmetry with the higher one.  It will significantly help but you will still likely be slightly asymmetric.  Asymmetric surgical treatments typically wouldn't get the job done so in a young woman like yourself I would remain conservative and go with just Botox for now until you are comfortable with the results.

Shepherd G. Pryor, MD
Scottsdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Options to treat asymmetrical eyebrows

Options to treat asymmetrical eyebrows include Botox to paralyze a hyperdynamic side were the eyebrows are raised too much. Fillers will have no use in this area. Its best to try Botox before considering any unilateral  surgical brow lift at this point

Toronto Brow Lift

A formal examination would be needed to determine the best option but based on your pictures, I think Botox would likely be a good option. It is important that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a formal consultation and examination to ensure that this is the right treatment for you.

Asif Pirani, MD, FRCS(C)

Treatment of Asymmetric Brows

I would use Botox (or Dysport or Xeomin - all similar neuromodulators) on your left side to relax the brow and lower it some. This one-sided treatment alone also has the effect of stimulating your right side forehead muscles to contract in a compensatory manner resulting in a rise of the lower brow at the same time -- so this single, inexpensive treatment may be enough to give you acceptable symmetry. It is certainly worth trying before any surgical measures are taken.

If you still want more correction, you can do a one-sided brow lift, using pretty much any of different brow lifting surgeries. The most reliable, predictable, cosmetic, effective and long-lasting surgical brow lift technique is a long-incision lift with excision of redundant scalp/skin.

Keep in mind that asymmetry of the level of the two brows is normal to a point. I agree that your present asymmetry is a little beyond the normal range, but the resulting difference following Botox-like injections only would probably be enough to bring you within normal limits of asymmetry.

Thanks for your question. I hope you are getting helpful responses.

Richard Parfitt, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Brow asymmetry is most commonly caused by muscles of expression

There are several causes for Brow asymmetry:

1- Bony asymmetry- uncommon

2-Nerve damage- Bell's palsy, trauma, etc

3-Compensation for unilateral eyelid ptosis- also uncommon

4-Muscles of expression acting differently- very common

In your case it appears to be a matter of the muscles of expression. Try Botox, it will be relatively inexpensive and will serve as a guide. In my experience most of my patients have some degree of asymmetry of the brows, which persists after surgery.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD