I had my first hair laser removal on chest and a looks patchy. Will it grow a little more even or stay patchy for ever? (Photo)

I had a my very first treatment of hair laser removal on chest/stomach. I asked the doctor to do it prior to have a natural look. The thing it's that it´s been two weeks since treatment and hair didnt grow as usual. This means some parts are growing (at low rates) and most of the hair it's not growing. My question: is it possible to have reduced almost all hair on chest/abdomen, or will it regrow again. If it regrow, will it be patchy or could happen that the hair regrow even and homogeneus?

Patchy Regrowth after Laser Treatment on Chest

Having a patchy regrowth is common after the first few treatments. It will become less patchy with more treatments. It takes 6-9 sessions of laser treatment to reduce 70%-90% of the hair. This is because not all hair is in its active growth phase. You may require touch up treatments every 6 months. Please consult with your treating physician if you have any concerns. 

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Laser hair removal

Hair has 3 stages of growth, active, non-active, and a transitional phase.  Laser hair removal works by targeting the pigment in the follicle of te actively growing hair (some of the hair in the transitional phase is also treated).  Hair that is in the non-active phase is not affected by the laser.  Since not all of your hair is in the same stage of growth at the same time, a series of 4-6 treatments a month or so apart are required for best results.  There is no way to predict whether the hair will grow back in a patchy pattern, or just evenly diminished, because there is no way to tell which hair is actively growing at the time of treatment.  Be patient and keep up with your treatments for the best outcome.

Suzan McGary, MD
Williamsport Thoracic Surgeon

Patchy regrowth after laser treatment on chest

Patchy regrowth after laser treatment is common, indicating possibly the areas of patchy regrowth either were not in the active growing stage at the time of treatment, or received less energy than the surrounding areas.This will however normalize and eventually become even. However due to the testosterone, you will require maintenance sessions indefinitely may be a couple of times a year.

Ram Chandra, MD
Edison Physician

After one LHR treatment, hair is patchy

Patchy regrowth is common after the early treatments. It will gradually get less patchy with more treatments. You need about 5-6 treatments to see significant results. If you did no more, it would fill in as if you didn't have any treatment.

Steven F. Weiner, MD