Areola reduction scars 5 months post op. Does it look normal? (Photo)

Hey, I've always had large natural breast (34E) and large areola's. I decided to have an areola reductions to make them smaller, this was 5 months ago. I have mixed feelings about the result over the smaller areolas look better but im worried about the scarring (even though it has gone down a lot in the last couple of months) but also worried about the right areola as theres a bit of 'puckering' around the areola, is this normal and will it sort its self out. Thanks so much for any answers.

How long does it take for scars to fade after breast augmentation or nipple reduction?

It takes scars nine to twelve months to fully mature and fade after any surgery.  The slight redness of the scars at this point appears normal as does the slight puckering.  It should continue to decrease slightly over the next several months.

Scar massage and good scar creams can help the scar achieve its best possible outcome and can usually be applied as soon as there is no more scabbing or crusting over the incisions.  Starting as early as possible with the scar massage and scar creams is helpful.

Good luck.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Areola reduction scar

Thank you for your question and photos.  You have a typical appearance to the scars for 5 months out from surgery.  There are things that can help improve the quality of scars--silicone products, scar massage and even certain lasers can help so change the pigment if it does not fade well.  Give it plenty of time to mature, between 6-12 months before scars have fully healed.  Keep in touch with your surgeon, he or she can make recommendations depending on your concerns. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Areola reduction scars 5 months post op. Does it look normal?

appears as an acceptable result for the area of surgery. Best to discuss your concerns with your surgeon... 

Areola Reduction

Since it has only been 5 months from the time of your surgery, you still have time to remodel the scar by using topical techniques.  After about 1 year, the scars usually stabilize.  If you are not doing scar massage already, I would start that right away.  I recommend creams instead of lotions (more oil content), and include firm pressure when you apply the cream.  Scar treatments like Mederma (or anything with onion root extract) can help fade the pink color a bit faster, but remember that the pink color is a normal part of the healing process.  Scar Guard or other silicone treatments can help keep the skin soft and smooth during the healing process as well.  Good luck!

Emily J. Kirby, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Puckering

Thank you for the photos though a complete examination would be more helpful as well as pre-op photos.  That said a certain amount of "puckering " may be normal and procedure dependent

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Areola scars are normal

as normal encompasses a very wide range of results from perfect fine line scars to widened scars.  The scars will happen and the best you can do is invest in the sometimes unproven scar management products and hope for the best.  Once you are considered healed, you can then decide if its worth it to attempt any scar revisions.

Curtis Wong, MD

Areola scars after Areola reduction surgey

The result so far is acceptable in that region. The scar is still in remodeling phase, it can be improved by several techniques as my colleagues have suggested. In my experience co2 fractionated laser sessions also helps to improve the texture and color of the scar.

Sanjay Parashar, MD
Dubai Plastic Surgeon