If you have stretch marks on love handles are you a bad candidate for Lipo?

I'm fairly young 21 but I have stretch marks on love handles no where else does this mean I'm a bad candidate.

Stretch marks aren’t a factor in lipo.

Stretch marks are simply small scars in your skin. Stretch marks won’t stop you from getting lipo and surgeons don’t consider them when deciding if someone is a good candidate for lipo. Surgeons identify ideal candidates based on their health and weight, not the appearance of their skin. Because lipo is a body contouring procedure to remove stubborn fat deposits, the best candidates are within 30 percent of their target weight and have firm, tight skin because lipo won’t improve loose or sagging skin. You may with to fine-tune your results with a nonsurgical treatment like Exilis™, which can tighten and tone the skin.

Stretch marks on love handles with Lipo

When I see stretch marks it is a concern that the skin will not shrink back after liposuction and it may be loose and hang afterwards.However it doesn’t make you a bad candidate for liposuction.The amount of fat to be removed and the amount of skin you have hanging prior to surgery will determine if you’re a good or bad candidate for liposuction.If you do not have any skin hanging prior to the liposuction, you may be okay.If you have pre-existing hanging skin, then it may get worse with liposuction.It is best to see a Plastic Surgeon for more specific questions.

Eugene Kim, MD

Liposuction in stretch marked flanks

Thank you for asking about your flank liposuction.

• Often stretch marks on the flanks are not a concern -
  • If the flanks are bulging out, then after liposuction the new curve of the waist will use up the skin.
  • So I do not think you are likely to be a bad candidate for liposuction, based on stretch marks in this area.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Stretch marks and lipo

No you still can have lipo done.when you lipo you will have additional loose skin and how will it contact?how much fat needs to be removed?These are questions your plastic surgeon can answer.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with Stretch Marks

Stretch marks are tears of the underside of your skin (dermis) resulting from stretch. Because of this, it is very difficult to improve their appearance. Liposuction is used to contour the body and remove fat deposits. Most liposuction techniques do minimal effect to the skin, so the stetch marks likely wont be changed. But you could have more excess skin in that location if you already have some there. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon will help answer all of these questions. 

George Lawson III, MD, FACS
Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon

Stretch marks and liposuction

The presence of stretch marks doesn't disqualify you from liposuction. The primary consideration is whether you have localized fat deposition that would benefit from liposuction. In someone who is older and has thinned skin from stretch marks, aging, or post-menopause status then having poor quality skin may impact how well the treated area looks after liposuction. In my experience, it's not as likely to be a problem in a 21-year-old. The best way to find out is to have a consultation with a very experienced physician who can examine you and give you advice. 

Kimberly Finder, MD
San Antonio Dermatologic Surgeon

Without photos- and the benefit of physical exam- it's difficult to comment accurately. Stretch mark are a permanent damage to the dermis. There is no surgical way to treat this short of surgical excision for example if they are in the area of a tummy tuck. To answer your question- stretch mark per se- are not a contra indication to liposuction. There are more important elements to consider with respect to liposuction. These will be discussed at your physical exam.

Thank you for your question. Just because you have stretch marks on an area of potential liposuction does not mean you are a bad candidate. Your concern is probably that the skin is not of good quality and may appear more loose following liposuction. Although this is a concern, the appearance of excess skin following liposuction is always a concern regardless of the presence of stretch marks. I suggest an in person evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon to give you an answer based on an examination.  Best wishes!

Lipo and marks

I agree with Dr Blinski
You can have suction of love handles. The stretch marks will not be worse or better

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction no matter the type will NOT effect the appearance of your stretch marks.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>