When does the capsule form around breast implants?

I had breast augmentation a couple weeks ago. I decided breast implants are not for me and would like them removed soon. I understand the procedure can be done under local if there's no capsulectomy. My question is when does the capsule form? What are the chances I will need a capsulectomy if I have an explant within a few weeks?

No capsulectomy needed if implants are taken out early

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry that you are not happy with your decision to get breast implants.  The implant capsules begin to form soon after surgery, however, the chance that you would need to have a capsulectomy is about zero.  When implants are taken out within a few months of insertion, in my experience, the breasts generally go back to what they were like before surgery and capsule removal is unnecessary. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal after a few weeks

While implants can be removed under local, it can be a bit painful.  If you recently had them done, I doubt that a significant capsule formed that would require removal.

Hi, jesster23.

Capsule (scar tissue) starts to form soon after the surgery.  It will mature over weeks to months.
The thickness (inflammation) of the capsule will vary among patients.,
If you had implants only couple weeks ago, you would not have a thick capsule requiring capsulectomy.
Depending on your plastic surgeon's observation intra-op, he/she may perform capsulotomy.
Best regards.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Implant removal

I'm sorry that you're not happy with your decision to get implants. Although a capsule starts forming immediately, you should not need an capsulectomy. Your surgeon should be able to remove your implants under local if you want, but it's painful. After which your breasts should return to how they looked before surgery. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

The capsule forms over 4 to 6 weeks, but almost never requires removal with implant removal unless you have developed thick calcifications in the capsule which is unlikely at this point.

I would encourage you to give yourself more time to heal before deciding on removing the implants. Your breast shape will change and you may end up liking your breast at that time.

The Implant removal procedure will be no different in 2-3 months than it is now.

Don W. Griffin, MD

When does the capsule around the breast implant form after breast augmentation?

Most studies identify capsule formation occurring within days after a breast augmentation. Your immune system realizes that the implant is a "foreign object" that could be dangerous and responds by creating a scar "capsule" around the implant. This response occurs rapidly as that is the way our immune system is designed to work.
In your situation I believe that removal of your implants at this early stage would not require an extensive capsulectomy. Usually during the removal process some of the capsule is removed anyway. Leaving behind some of the capsule has not been an issue in my practice as the body will reabsorb what it does not need anymore.

Douglas Leppink, MD
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Significant capsular contracture usually takes months to develope. Removing implants at a few weeks would carry a very low risk of having a capsular contratcure

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after breast augmentation surgery. It takes many months for the capsule to form;  you will not need a capsulectomy if the breast implant is removed in the next few months.  Personally, I do not suggest  capsulectomy anyway, unless the breast implant capsule is abnormally thickened or otherwise symptomatic.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns), helps.  Best wishes.

Capsule

Hello, the capsule start to form in the first few weeks. It would be rare to have to take out the capsule if you undergo implant removal in the next few week or months. 

Paul W. Papillion, MD

When does the capsule form around breast implants

Although the capsule begins to form as early as 72 hours after surgery, it takes weeks to months for it to fully mature.  In most cases, the capsule will remain relatively thin and unnoticeable.  In some cases (and the incidence increases over time), the capsule can become thickened and squeeze the implant thereby distorting the shape.  However, in the absence of a diseased capsule, it is reasonable to leave the capsule alone and simple remove the implant. 

I think it is a good idea to let yourself heal from your surgery (at least 8 weeks) before going back to have the implants taken out.  The capsule is unlikely to change in that period of time to the degree that it would require removal.  Furthermore, having a few extra weeks may give you time to fully think things through to make sure you are making the best decision for yourself.  Good luck! 

Charles Galanis, MD