What is the difference between moderate profile, moderate plus profile and high profile?

Mentor Implants

Low, moderate and high projection implants.

Low profile is wider, flatter
High is narrow, taller(higher)
Moderate is in-between

In general, the higher the profile, the more projection, the more cup size you will get. The three manufacturers have different terminology and different ratios of width/profile.

Best to speak with a BCPS and determine, based on your measurements, what's best for your anatomy and your desires.

Best.

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. The difference between the different profiles of breast implants available have to do with the dimensions (diameter and height) of the implants. For example, the high-profile implant has a greater projection and a smaller diameter compared to the moderate profile implant. The moderate plus profile implant as projection and diameter characteristics that fall between the moderate profile and high profile implants.

I prefer to have a wide selection of implants (all profiles) available in the operating room. I use intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the breast implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,
I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Profiles are different...

You are describing Mentor products.  Moderate wider and flatter (less projection); Moderate plus is less wide and more projection; High profile is more narrow and more projected.  Projection refers to the distance outward from the chest to the nipple. 

Peter J. Capizzi, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Implant profile diferences

Thank you for your question.  Basically the profile of the implant is the difference of the projection of the implant and width. Moderate profile implants have a low projection and wider diameter.  Moderate Plus implant medium projection more narrow diameter.  Like you've probably guessed, High Profile have a high projection and even more narrow diameter.  There is even an Ultra High Profile with the most narrow diameter and highest projection per CCs. 

The point of the different projections is to allow women to get more volume for the body size.  A woman with a narrow chest diameter can get a high profile implant to give her more volume and projection than she would be able to get with a moderate profile implant.  This is also personal preference in the type of look you are going for.  

This is something you will want to discuss with your surgeon to decide which option is best for you and your body type.  

Best of luck to you!

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation: Information

Dear Ms. Piggy21,

Thank you for your questions and story. Unfortunately with out photos, a exam of your tissues and measurements I can can only comment based your photos. However I hope you find the following information helpful.

There are four different profiles (implant base width)
A) for the same volume the higher the profile the narrower the base width.
B)there is very little difference in projection between a moderate to high profile implant
thus little affect on the perceptible final projection of your breasts.
C) the base width of the breast should equal the base width of the implant
D)thus I personally chose the profile based on the patients chest measurements,
(a high profile on a wide chest may not result in the cleavage desired and
conversely a low profile on a narrow chest may result in implant in the outside arm
area.

I suggest you make out a list of your questions and select several nude "model" photos of what your desired goals/look would bring them with to your scheduled consultative appointments.

Please research that your Plastic Surgeon is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a I member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Projection

With each profile category increase, the fullness and distance that the implant will stick out off of your chest wall increases. If you lined up three breast implants on a table with the same width/diameter, but increasing projections, they would each have different heights and look fuller as the projection increased. 

Ask your Plastic Surgeon to show you examples and let you know which volumes in each projection category will fit you. Based on your measurements, you will likely have a few different options for a more natural or fuller look.

All the best 

Implant profiles

The profile of a breast implant refers to the shape per given volume.  Thus, 400 cc can be filled in with a more narrow diameter which results in more projection (high profile), or, wider diameter and less projection.  Moderate plus is wider than high, moderate is generally wider than moderate plus.  The high profile implants tend to look very unnatural and yield less cleavage than the other styles.

Tim Neavin, MD

Profiles

These are terms Mentor uses to describe their profiles where for the same volume you can have a wider less projecting implant choice (moderate Classic), one with a slightly more narrow base and more projection) and one with an even more narrow base with more projection (high profile). Your surgeon should be able to show you an example of the implants, and it is really your anatomy and taste that helps guide which will best help you meet your aesthetic goals.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. This is a very common question when looking at implants and one that I think is helped by looking at the implants themselves or at pictures. I have provided a link with an image that will clarify it hopefully.

The wording of profile is basically a measure of projection, or how far the implant sticks out from the chest wall. Implants are measured by width and projection and once that volume is filled, that is the number of cc's that implant is. Profile determines the amount of volume that a certain dimension can fill.

To look at it another way, consider two implants of the same volume, or cc's. If one is a moderate profile 400cc and the other is a high profile 400cc, then the high profile implant will be less wide and more projected, putting that 400cc volume of silicone/saline in a less wide package, sacrificing width for projection. In another example, take two implants that are both 14.3 cm wide. At that width, the high profile implant (because of its increased projection), will have a higher volume, say 605 cc, whereas the moderate profile implant will have a lesser volume for the same width, say 500 cc.

Hope this helps!

Implant Profiles

Thank you for your question...breast implants come in a variety of profiles including, low profile, moderate profile, moderate plus profile, high profile, and extra full profile. The higher the profile of the implant, the narrower the base and the more the implants projects. Low profiles are hardly ever used, but moderate has the widest base. Moderate plus has greater projection, but retains the wide base as the moderate profile. High profile offer more projection with a narrower base (often compared to the shape of a tennis ball). Ultra high profile provides the greatest amount of upper fullness to the breasts with the highest amount of projection with the narrow base.

You should schedule a consultation with your plastic surgeon so you can try on sizers of different implant sizes and profiles to help you decide which is the best one for you. Good luck!

Kamran Azad, MD
Pasadena Physician