What is the cost of brow-reduction? What is the severity of my condition and the procedure? What is the recovery time? (Photo)

This has been an issue I've personally struggled with for the past few years. I'm a 21 year old male that has never seen anyone with a thick, prominent, neanderthal-looking, brow-bossing similar too mine. I would greatly appreciate any or all details/tips on the procedure and how I should go about this.

Frontal bossing

can be reduced with reduction procedures but search for ones with experience and who can minimize your access scars.  Your ridge is prominent and your surgeon must be prepared for sinus issues so make sure your surgeon is experienced (I have done none) and has a reasonable revision policy in case things don't turn out as you desired.

Brow bone reduction.

Brow bone reduction is something that I've done for more than 35 years. This involves using a drill to file down the excess bone that you have to make it smooths. See a very experienced surgeon for this procedure as the creation of an unnoticeable scar is very important. 

What is the cost of brow-reduction? What is the severity of my condition and the procedure?

The reduction of the more prominent bone is done with rasping or filing the excess bone down to a less prominent contour. The recovery requires limited activity for about a week and most patients need pain meds for several days.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Reduction of Brow Bossing

This contour is secondary to increased thickness of the frontal bone. For many years I have treated this by filing the bone to remove the excess.

Reduction of brow bossing

Thank you for your question about your brow bone ridge.

Your photos are very helpful.
  • Surgery can be done with a bone drill to smooth down the ridge of the outer table of the frontal bone.
  • This needs to be carefully planned and done and may in time lead to drooping of  the brow and need for a brow lift.
  • A word on your frontal bossing and Neanderthals - your bone bossing was very common in Virginia where I grew up and considered attractive in men. Neanderthal's are now known to have been highly intelligent with advanced civilizations, were family oriented and contributed important genetic attributes to all Caucasians.
  • Go ahead and have your surgery by all means but it may help to put the history of bone bossing in perspective!
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful Best wishes.