Does Bellafill work for shallow acne scars? What are the risks involved in Bellafill filler?

Bellafill for acne scars

Bellafill works well for rolling acne scars. They tend to be shallow and disappears when you stretch the skin around it. The FDA has approved Bellafill for this purpose and they looked at the safety data very carefully since the stuff is basically permanent. As of this date, Bellafill is only available internationally in 4 countries. Most international complications are due to products that have PMMA microbeads and are manufactured by other companies. Stick to Bellafill and you should be OK.
See link for 5 year safety data.

Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bellafill for acne

Yes, Bellafill works both with intradermal scars and those just under the skin causing a depressed scar. Skin testing is optional, but I do it. The particles in Bellafill are permanent and can be surgically excised if there is any long term problem

David A. F. Ellis, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill for acne scars

Bellafill is a FDA approved 5 year filler for atrophic acne scars and nasolabial folds. Bellafill is made with PMMA (polymethylmethacrylate) which helps to replace lost collagen. Bellafill will replace lost volume in the skin below the acne scar. Results are immediate. You can always get a test patch before you go through with the treatment, if you are concerned for any allergic reaction. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel
Double board certified
Plastic surgeon
Hoffman Estates

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill for Acne Scars

Bellafill has been FDA approved for shallow and deep atrophic scars.  Since this is a permanent filler it is vital to consult an experienced dermatologist for this treatment.  I often combine Bellafill with other scar treatments such as Fraxel or eMatrix.  Best, Dr. Green

Bellafill for Acne Scars

Bellafill works for atrophic scars, which are deep or shallow. Please schedule a consultation with your provider to see if you're a good candidate for Bellafill.

David J. Sire, MD
Fullerton Dermatologic Surgeon

Bellafill for acne scars

Bellafill has been FDA approved for reduction of atrophic, distensible acne scars in men and women over 21 years of age. These types of scars tend to be shallow and are able to flatten out when stretched manually. To see if Bellafill would be a good choice for your acne scars, an in-person consultation is needed to assess your condition and determine if Bellafill or another treatment option such as laser therapy or surgical repair would be better.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Bellafill for acne scars

It is FDA approved for acne scars and is the only filler approved for this. It works best for distensible scars, the ones that flatten when they are stretched. It usually requires 2 treatments. The risks are less than normal fillers but include: bruising, infection, lumps, nodules, granulomas, poor cosmetic results. It is the most studied filler of all the ones on the market and has 5 year study data showing it is safe and effective as a filler.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Bellafill for Acne Scars

Bellafill is perhaps the best treatment we have for acne scars! It works best for scars that are soft and rolling. The heavy thick scars and the ice pick scars that acne can cause are often better treated with either excision or steroids before using Bellafill. Many patients we see have tried just about everything, including chemical peels, laser resurfacing and dermabrasion to no avail and they are thrilled with the results of Bellafill.

Because it lasts so long, you should be aware of the risks and benefits of these types of fillers. I have added a video that may help you.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scarring and BellaFill

There are risk with any filler and this one is no different.  BellaFill recently received it's indication for acne scarring which is a big win for the company.  There currently is no other filler that is approved for acne scarring.  This is a filler that we use at our practice and have seen great results with.  It works well in combination with other treatments for best results.

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill or permanent fillers for acne scars

I would not recommend Bellafill for acne scars, or any other permanent filler for this purpose. My office is an international referral center for permanent filler complications and I have seen many longterm complications. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS