If I'm Allergic to Surgical Type What else Will Be Put over the TT Incision?

There are multiple options for surgical incision dressing

Hello, Thank you for your question. If you are allergic to tape you can either go with a non-adhesive dressing such as xeroform or you can go with an occlusive dressing such as dermabond. Personally I would go with the dermabond route. Once the dermabond has fallen off I would do silicone sheet. All the best Dr Remus Repta

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Allergy to tape

This is easy.they can place the dressings over your incision and then put on a velcro girdle type garment to hold your dressings in place.

Allergy to tape

Alternatives to surgical tape.

There are plenty of alternatives to surgical tape. The most common is a skin glue such as Dermabond. Although an allergy to the glue is also a possibility, I have found that to be a rare occurrence (particularly in comparison to tape sensitivities).

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Alternatives to surgical tape.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Not to worry about the tape

I frequently dont use tape.  we have numerous options including tissue glue, steristrips, and even nothing at all...

Not to worry about the tape

Alternative for surgical tape

Hi, there are several alternatives for surgical tape.  Personally, I like using Dermabond (glue) or Prenio (Dermabond tape).  Please let your plastic surgeon know that you are allergic to surgical tape.  He may have different preference.

Alternative for surgical tape

Allergy to surgical tape

There are many alternatives your surgeon can choose. Be sure to let not only your surgeon but the surgical team as well know. I'm sure they will ask but it never hurts to be proactive. Good luck with your surgery.

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Allergy to surgical tape

Margaret Skiles, MD (retired)
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Glue (Dermabond) Over Incisions

I normally use Dermabond, the medical equivalent to superglue to cover incisions after breast and abdominal surgeries instead of taping bandages on.  The Dermabond acts as an additional barrier to seal the incisions against bacteria.  With the Dermabond I allow most of my patients to shower the next day due to the waterproofing effect. I also think that covering allows for better scar formation. The disadvantage is that it does leave a gray film over the incisions for a few weeks before it finally peels off.

Alternatives to surgical tape

There are various alternatives ranging from occlusive dressings to antibiotic ointment with or without a bandage or Xeroform ague. Discuss the alternatives with your plastic surgeon but know that alternatives do exist and that your allergy should not preclude you from having surgery. Good luck!

Alternatives to surgical tape

Surgical Tape Allergy

You do not necessarily need to have surgical tape on your incision.  You should discuss your situation with your surgeon.  Alternatives include surgical glue (Dermabond), antibiotic ointment, or nothing at will with just clean dry bandages.  So, there are many options.  Don't worry.

Good Luck.

Surgical Tape Allergy

Good Luck.