Summer time Breast reduction. Any suggestions?

I am scheduled for my procedure on June 2nd, as it is summer time I am wondering what my restrictions will be. I enjoy sunbathing at the beach and pool. I will be okay with avoiding the water but will I be okay to show off my new breasts and catch some sun? How soon can I wear a bathing suit? How can I prevent the darkening of my scars? My doctor plans to do a lollipop incision so I do not think much of the scaring will be exposed outside of my suit.

Thank you for your question.  In my practice I advise patients to avoid strenuous activity or heavy lifting for about 1 month in addition to avoiding submersion and swimming.  Also, avoid sunbathing and use sunblock.  Good luck!

Summer time reduction

I don't think there will be a problem with your scars if they're covered by a bathing suit.  For added insurance I'd suggest sunblock as well, as some UV can get through swimsuit fabrics.  Stay out of the water until your surgeon gives you the OK and you should be fine.  Enjoy your new breasts and your summer.

Scott Thellman, MD
Lawrence Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and recovery

I tell my patients to avoid aerobics for 3-4 weeks and heavy lifting for 6-8 weeks. Avoid sunbathing and cover the scars if exposed with sunblock.  No swimming for 3-4 weeks minimum.

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation can be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Your plastic surgeon will your guide through the recovery period and beyond;  every physician may have different "protocol".  Generally it will be important to keep the incisions clean and avoid sun light to the scars. Your plastic surgeon may recommend that you use SPF protection along the incision lines when the time is right. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

After surgery we typically advise patients to not submerge under water for a few weeks. You also want to make sure your scars are protected from sun exposure. Be sure to check with your surgeon as to exact restrictions 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon