How soon after the Breast Reduction surgery can I dance/ exercise?

I am 21 years old 5'3 and 245lbs. I love to dance. I want to have the breast reduction surgery because I am a dancer and it has become quite difficult to keep up in routines because of my boobs. I am now a 40 E and I have significant amount of back and shoulder pain. Its hard to dance and difficult to lose weight because of the back pain and so My question is Would I be able to have the surgery and Would I be able to dance a few weeks after having the surgery?

You need to ask your dr

each surgeon  and patient is different. however, i let my patients start exercising at 2- 2.5 weeks. you certainly can do weights. you don't lift weights with your breasts but the muscle underneath. you probably will not want to do exercises where your breasts bounce around a lot, such as running for 3-4 weeks. 

i get my patients active much sooner than most surgeons do. 

sincerely
David Berman md

Sterling Plastic Surgeon

Resuming normal activities after Breast Reduction

Thank you for your question. After breast reduction surgery, it is often possible to return to work within just a couple of days, depending on your job. In many instances, you can resume most of your normal activities, including some form of mild exercise, after several weeks. You may continue to experience some mild, periodic discomfort during this time, but such feelings are normal. Severe pain should be reported to our office. Any sexual activity should be avoided for a minimum of one week. After that, care must be taken to be extremely gentle with your breasts for at least the next six weeks. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates Barrington Oakbrook Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Surgical techniques continuously improve, allowing recovery time following #breast reduction surgery to often be reduced. However, your return to #exercise activities may take an extended period of time to ensure that your breast tissue has sufficient time to properly heal. #Swelling and inflammation are common following breast reduction surgery. Immediately following surgery, exercise is not advised. It can be jarring to your breast tissue and increase the risk for complications such as bleeding and excessive swelling.
After the first two weeks following surgery, you may return to “light” #activities but no lifting. You can begin walking for exercise to help you burn calories. This type of exercise does not place excess strain on your chest wall, and is the best exercise to perform in the weeks following surgery. 
After about four to six weeks and with your physician's approval, you can begin to return to the typical exercises you engaged in before surgery. Start small with lower-impact activities and listen to your body. If you begin to experience pain or discomfort with exercise, stop. Post-exercise swelling also can indicate you have overdone your exercise routine. For the best results following surgery, make sure you follow ALL of your post-op instructions.

Dr. Michael Epstein answers a question directed to him from a RealSelf user regarding when to exercise after breast reduction

Chicago Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Michael A. Epstein responds on video regarding how soon to exercise after breast reduction surgery.

Activity after a breast reduction

I usually allow my patients to perform light aerobic activity after about 3-4 weeks, but that depends upon if they are haling well enough.

Dancing after a Breast Reduction

I typically tell my patients to avoid lifting, pulling, or pushing anything over 10 lbs for 4-6 weeks from your date of surgery. Depending on how strenuous the dancing is, you can resume it within 2-4 weeks after your surgery. I would check with your surgeon for a definitive answer.

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Activity restrictions after breast reduction will be determined by your surgeon.

This is a question that should be addressed to your own surgeon. On balance most patients can resume normal everyday activity immediately. Dancing that would not involve significant movement of the breast would be permissible in my practice any time.

You would have to get specific guidance and directions from your own surgeon on this but I normally advise my breast reduction patients that, for exercise, they can start slowly at three weeks post-operatively (assuming that the healing is going well) and then advance as tolerated.  Particularly vigorous activities should be delayed until a later time in the healing process and the recovery.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100