Breast implant size: Is 600cc too large? (photos)

I am 5'4" currently 162 lbs with a measured bwd of 15cm and my current bra standing at 34b. It's hard for me to find girls matching my stats on here to get a general idea, but I have an athletic build (I gain muscle very easily). I want the full look but I don't want breasts that are going to limit me physically or look incredible large. My ps told me my chest would support an implant of this size due to my larger bwd but 600cc just sounds so large.

Is 600cc too large?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

A generous implant!

Hi.  A 600 cc implant is a pretty generous one.  They weigh more than 1.3 lbs each.  Try feeling and lifting one, and think about how it might impact your exercise choices.  I think you might want to look at something a little more proportional, something that wouldn't dominate your figure so much - maybe more like 400-450cc.  Of course, an in-person consultation is needed to sort this out in more detail.

Breast implant size: Is 600cc too large?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. 

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

600cc is a very large size implant for augmentation

agree with you that assuming you like sports and dont want breasts that enter the room way before you do, you may want to follow your instincts and go somewhat smaller.

Bruce K. Barach, MD
Schenectady Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant Size

I never comment on what breast implant size anyone should choose since that decision should only be done after a thorough examination with measurements and discussion of the patient's desires. However, I cannot help but comment since, with what I can tell from the pictures and information supplied, a 600 cc implant is so far outside what would satisfy your desires and fit your body that I thought I had to. Implants this size would "limit (you) physically" and "look incredible large." I would, therefore, strongly suggest you get another opinion.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Sizers help

Based on your photo and info, 600cc does sound on the large side. Have you tried on 600cc sizers? Doing so will help you get a better idea of how you’ll look, and whether it is in fact too large for you.

600cc implants

Hello, thank you for your question.  The choice of implant size depends on many factors including your chest diameter, tissue quality, and overall aesthetic goals. 600cc is a large implant and may move away from a natural look.  Another important factor is the implant pocket location.  Patients who lift weights regularly often choose to place the implants above the muscle to avoid any weakening of the pectoralis muscle or displacement of the implants with muscle contraction.  This may also increase the chances of implant visibility, especially in a very large implant.  These are the issues you should discuss with a board certified plastic surgeon before surgery and make sure all of your concerns are addressed.  Good luck.  

Brian A. Pinsky, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.

Breast augmentation question

I think a 600 mL implant would limit you physically and look extremely large. Furthermore, there are increased rates of complications with larger implants. Consider speaking to your surgeon about this and if you are still not completely comfortable second opinion would be warranted.