How Will I Look After a 2000 Gram Breast Reduction?

I am 5'8 200 lbs, my breast are about a 40 E-F, my breast are not dense and are saggy. I am scheduled to have a reduction of 1000 grams from each breast and afraid that I may look like a boy afterwards. How much of a decrease in cup sizes would you say this will be and do you think this is extreme. I am worried that my breast will be to small for my frame, my PS says it won't. He is predicting a 38-40 large B-small C. What do you think?

You should do great with your breast reduction and look like a women

With your height and weight and the size of your breast that you describe you should get  great result. It really isn't about what you take off but what you leave behind and how you shape the breast tissue. Also the amount of breast tissue to be removed is an estimate and the procedure with be done in a way that should leave you with a nicely shaped, reasonable size breast. You do however need to make sure the surgeon know that if you would rather be bigger or smaller after surgery. 

Talk to your surgeon!

1000 gram reduction per breast is a large reduction but is necessary in some patients.  Generally patients wear full B -small C bras after surgery.  Without seeing your pre-operative photographs it is difficult to predict what you will look like after your surgery.  Discuss these concerns with your surgeon before surgery.  Make sure there is clear communication betweeen the two of you regarding size expectations.  Bring photographs with you to demonstrate what you would like to look like after the surgery.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Breast Reduction

Breast Reduction is a complicated procedure that is best done by those with the most training and experience. It is very difficult to determine the resultant cup size and shape based solely on the number of grams that are removed from your breast to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast reduction and lift surgeries, including different approaches, techniques and even fat transfer and implant choices if you are lacking superior breast fullness.
This is because several measurements—not to mention breast characteristics such as density—are needed to determine how much and where to remove breast tissue to meet your goals. Without knowing your existing breast shape, dimensions, and the density of your breast tissue, it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the same volume of breast tissue will weigh different amounts (measured in ounces or grams) in different people depending on its density. The existing base width of your breast and what you will ultimately want to look like will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume and weight that will need to be removed for the best result.

Please click on the link below for more information!

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Cup Size after Breast Reduction?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast adduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Unfortunately, no plastic surgeon is able to predict exactly what cup size you will be  are exactly what you will look like after breast reduction surgery. In other words, there is no correlation between grams of tissue removed and resulting cup size or look. Furthermore as you know, cup sizes vary depending on who makes the bra; this makes discussing cup size an inaccurate way of communicating your goals. 

In my practice I use goal pictures to communicate with patients.  With this technique patients are able to demonstrate what they are trying to achieve and what type of looks they do not like as well.   The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
 I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible. 

Breast reduction

What size will you be after surgery?  I do not know without an exam.. I do perform a lot of reductions on women of your size and 1000 gms off per side on  very large breasts should leave a reasonable amount of tissue to make a nicely shaped breast in most cases.

Breast reduction-post op size

When doing a breast reduction the insurance companies dictate the minimal amount to be removed.When I do a breast reduction I try to satisfy the insurance company and at the same time may the patient proportional to their body size whatever that may be.I really don't know what a c or d cup  is because it will vary from one bra manufacturer to another.But I think you will be fine.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

1000 GR Reduction in Each Breast Sounds Appropriate

I think that you will be happy with a 1000 gram reduction of each breast.  If you are now wearing a E or F cup bra, my guess is that  a 1000 gram reduction will leave you in the C/D cup range which should not "leave you looking like a boy".

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Breast reduction

At 5'8" you are significantly above your ideal body weight and I would estimate that your breasts are significantly larger than the average breast reduction. A 1000 gm per breast reduction may not be as dramatic as you think.

Look After a 2000 Gram Breast Reduction

A posted photo would help. But if a TOTAL of 2,ooo per side or on both is the question??? If each breast will be 2,000 down that a small c to mid c. Hope that is what you desire. Discuss in detail with the surgeon, please. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091