Fat Deposits on Forehead

I just saw a doctor who said I have "Adipose tissue deposits" on my forehead. These raised fatty deposits are really depressing me and I want them removed. Please give me any type of advice you might have for adipose tissue deposits and how to remove them. I just want a smooth forehead. Can liposuction be used. thanks!!

Fatty forehead

Other than the areas directly beneatht the brow and the area just above the eyelid is the only locale in which I would remove fat.

Probably a lipoma

You appear to have a lipoma, which may be either above or below the forehead frontalis muscle.  The best way to manage this problem is excision rather than liposuction.  The incision can be placed in your hairline and would be almost invisible.  Consult with an experienced plastic surgeon for an in-person assessment and more specific recommendations.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

The fat deposit that you describe on your forehead is a lipoma.  Lipoma’s are benign fat collections that are best treated with local excision.  This procedure is associated with good aesthetic results and high levels of patient satisfaction.  Liposuction isn’t indicated for the treatment of this condition.

Fatty tissue mass of forehead

If you have an isolated fatty deposit on your forehead or scalp, usually direct excision is the way to go.

Forehead fat deposits should be removed surgically not by liposuction

First make sure the lump is in fact a fatty deposit. Then it is best to remove with a small incision. A surgeon accustomed to working on the face will be able to do this very nicely. Liposuction is not the right tool for this for several reasons - including risks, inadequate or uneven removal, and if it is in fact a lipoma (fatty tumor), it will likely regrow unless the capsule is removed.   

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead Lipoma

If the fullness on your forehead is truly fat, it can be removed. I would consider surgery, using a hairline approach so there is no visible scar left on your forehead. I would remove the fatty tissue mass directly by excision rather than liposuction in this particular area. 

Treatment of forehead lipoma.

We do this thru an irregular trchophytic incision that we developed 30 years ago. The hair will grow thru the incision and your hairline can remain the same or lowered if you so desire. This is better than in the hair.

Forehead lipomas (fat deposits) are small and uncommon

Liposuction in the forehead is a hazard and few would ever recommend it. A fat deposit on the forehead or frontal lipoma usually presents as a small soft coin like bump, almost cyst like. They are deep to the forehead muscle and can be simply removed (not with liposuction). Your picture does not look like a fat deposit, though it may be the case, we suggest a study of the area, CT scan perhaps, to confirm what is going on and how to correct it.

Excision is better than liposuction

If this is a Lipoma liposuction will not entirely remove it and you will have an irregular mass . An incision at or behind the hairline can be used to remove the mass. MRI scans would probable help to identify the plane of dissection but more important to help determine what it is.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Forehead subgaleal lipoma

Most fatty deposits in the forehead are benign submuscular lipomas. It is not necessarily what you have but if that ia confirmed then excision is better than liposuction as some of the lipomas would probably remain after liposuction and have a good chance of enlarging in the future. An excision might be done through a small forehead incision. Or an incision in the scalp which a plastic surgeon might be able to do even endoscopically as forehead lifts can be done but with special removal instruments.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon