How to Add Dimension to a Flat Face?

How, surgically or non-surgically, can I add dimension to my face. I want to be an actress and it's a very vein profession so I have to look my best thanks!

How you can add dimension to a flat face...

First and foremost, I think you have a very nice face - but, if you’d like to further enhance some of your features, this can certainly be accomplished.

I would recommend dermal fillers to add volume where you think it is lacking. This might be in the cheeks if you feel they are flat, and extending up along the cheekbones. You may also benefit from some light filling in the tear-trough area to reduce the appearance of seeming “tired”. Some subtle plumping to the lips is often something my patients enjoy, too. Depending on your profile view, I may also recommend injecting the chin and along the contour of the jawline to strengthen those features.

As always, be sure to choose a practice that will offer a thorough consultation prior to treatment to determine your needs, goals and appropriate type of dermal filler.

Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Adding dimension to your face

Dear wuzzie,

Yes you can definitely use dimension to your face using facial fillers. I would recommend slowly building to get the exact dimension you are looking for! 

Dr. Morgan

Morgan Rabach, MD

Sometimes no fillers or botox or lasers are needed and I tell my NYC patients when they don't need facial rejuvenation

Without examining patients in person, looking at a two dimensional photograph does not allow a physician to make accurate diagnoses and I would not be able to make the best recommendation.  From looking at your very young face in this photograph, I see aesthetically pleasing proportions of the convex curvatures of the cheekbones, no atrophy or wasting of volume. Smile folds and marionette lines are common with smiling and looking natural is as important for an actor or actress as plumping up their face. 

When skin starts to lose tightness, even before the skin shows sagging, then some facial tightening procedures can help maintain one's youthfulness and I suggest in my NYC practice, for many patients who are in this stage, a series of radiofrequency energy treatments such as ThermiSmooth, or one Ultherapy treatment or Thermage. When skin shows its sagging, then more intense Ultherapy treatments, or minimally invasive ThermiTight and Instaflift suture lifting procedures can be done but the latter two procedures have some downtime (although it is much less with InstaLift). 

When there is volume loss in temples, cheeks, lips and other facial areas, then fillers of different thicknesses, meant for different depths of placement, are recommended. 

Botox helps lines that are related to muscle movement, and it is especially important for actors to avoid havimg an inexperienced provider over-botoxing their face creating an emotionless mask.  

My aesthetic goal is to provide natural looking results, not have my patients spend money on procedures they don't need and to tell patients when they don't need anything yet. This type of recommendation only can be made after an in-person examination, when I view my patients from different angles, and observe their facial contours and lines at rest and with movement.

Subtle corrections with small amounts of fillers can create beautiful and significant results in some patients. Finesse and an artistic eye is critical when a provider treats a person's face that needs minimal improvement.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Dimension to face

I would recommend seeing a board certified facial plastic surgeon or board certified dermatologist who has extensive experience in facial fillers  - you can make very nice enhancements to your mid and lower face to give you the added dimension that you are looking for! Best of luck and I hope this helps!

Lesley Rabach, MD

Enhancing the face

Dear wuzzie12:

Thank you for the question and photo.  For a natural, but enhanced look I would recommend use of dermal fillers in the appropriate areas, starting in the cheeks and working downwards towards the chin and lip area.  Remember less is more. best of luck.

What makes for a great actress

Although there are facial features that will get you noticed, often the successful actress or model is the one that can express themselves in a most interesting and visible way. This is why the highest paid actresses are not generally the most classically beautiful. The ability to 'act' is much more than that. In fact, current methods of makeup, lighting, and stage preparation are used to correct minor imperfections that you should not worry over.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Voluma and Perlane, and the non-HA fillers, such as Radiesse Plus

Thanks for your question and the photo. You need to make a consultation with a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon to learn the various treatment options that are available to you. When I look at your picture, I think you would benefit greatly from volume replacement in your cheeks. There are the HA fillers that work well here – Voluma and Perlane, and the non-HA fillers, such as Radiesse Plus (now with lidocaine) and Sculptra. You need to find the right injector – you are young and do not want to look unnatural after having work done – keeping things natural will be the best for you.

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Recontour Face

Adding dimensions to your face is based on an artistic eye and ability to achieve proportionate measurements. You can consider a variety of treatments, although generally fillers are probably the most popular. 

Non-surgical Volume

The best way to add volume to your face is with fillers or Sculptra.  Fillers like Restylane, Voluma, or Juvederm will add volume to your face the same day.  Sculptra gradually has your body produce its own collagen and is a wonderful treatment to add dimension and lasts two years.  For the best results please consult a board certified physician with experience in facial injections.

Voluma will give volume to your mid-face

Thank you for posting a photo. If you feel as though you need volume, I suggest Voluma. This facial filler will instantly restore volume to the cheek area giving you a younger appearance. Please consult with your doctor to determine if you are a candidate.

Bruce E. Katz, MD