Weight Gain to Correct Sunken Cheeks?

I'm a 21 year old male, got sunken cheeks. Will gaining weight help? I am not sure how long I have had them, this I just realized recently. My BMI is 19.2, though I seem skinny if anything.

Doctor Answers 4

Gain weight then consider a procedure

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello Hefty,

I agree with Dr. Lentz that fat grafting is an excellent consideration. I would also add that given your age and that you look "skinny if anything", then you should consider putting on some weight in a controlled and healthy manner. In most people your age weight gain is easily reflected in the face. Putting on some pounds may be all you need, if not then you can certainly consider the opt ion of fat injections / fillers.

Take Care,

Dr. Kamran Jafri

New York Facial Plastic Surgeon

Try weight gain

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You could try healthy weight gain and see if that works first. If it doesn't fillers can help add some volume here.

Weight gain for sunken cheeks is advisable

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no surgery that can correct sunken cheeks in that location since that is just to the side of the mouth and is really just cheek skin. Gaining weight would be advisable.

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 157 reviews

Fat grafting of your own fat to fill in the depressions is a great and safe procedure.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While there are many fillers that one could use for filling these areas, I have had my best and long lasting results with fat grafting your own fat. It seems that even in thin patients you can find fat in the medial thighs. Make sure your surgeon has a lot of experience with the technique because it is a steep learning curve.

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD
Orlando Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.