Prior Cholecystectomy Surgery and Tummy Tuck?

I had a Cholecystectomy 15 years ago and was wondering, will it have an adverse affect if I decide to get Tummy tuck? How it will affect me? Will the scars from the gallbladder surgery be removed through this procedure? Thank you.

Cholecystectomy and tummy tucks

If you had an open cholecystectomy, the scar in the right upper quadrant could negatively affect blood flow to the abdominal skin and cause healing problems from a tummy tuck. A lap chole wouldn't matter. Make sure you go to an experienced plastic surgeon who can assess whether you have an increased risk or not.

Tummy Tuck okay after Cholecystectomy

You said you had "scars" after your cholecystectomy so I am assuming you had the laparoscopic method. If this is true you should have no problem with a tummy tuck but the scars will not be removed.

If you had a cholecystectomy with a long scar on the right side of the abdomen then the tummy tuck will need to be done carefully and this scar will not be removed but will be pulled lower.

Best Wishes

Dr. Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck after Cholecystectomy

I have performed many abdominoplasties in patients who have had prior cholcystectomies (both laparoscopic and traditional or open), and have had very few problems related to the prior surgery (although I always worried about the scar influence). After examining your particular scar, surrounding tissues, presence of any herniation, etc., your board certified plastic surgeon can give you a very good idea of the safety of an abdominoplasty and/or liposuction. It would be unusual not to be able to provide a safe and effective resolution.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks and previous operations.

Both the type of scar that you have, and the type of tummy tuck you are having done, will be important to you. If you have had a laproscopic cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal), the small scars should pose no problem to the tummy tuck, regardless of the technique used for the tummy tuck. These scars may move a bit during the tummy tuck, but they will not be removed.

If you have had an open cholecystectomy with a long scar parallel to the lower rib cage, this can be problematic in some types of tummy tucks. If the lipoabdominoplasty technique is used, the tummy tuck can be done safely. The issues have to do with problems with healing due to the changes in the blood supply to the skin beneath the gall bladder scar, if such a scar is present. The lipoabdominoplasty will preserve the blood supply to this skin more effectively, thus promoting better healing. This scar will not be removed, but will probably be moved lower down on the abdominal wall.

Your best bet is to discuss your previous surgery with a Board-certified plastic surgeon who can advise you on the best technique for you. During the last fifteen years or so, most people have had laproscopic cholecystectomies, and these scars should pose no problems.

Good luck!

David B. Reath, MD
Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal scars and tummy tucks

Depending on the location and extend of the cholecystectomy scar, it might prove to be a limiting problem or something that can be incorporated into the abdominoplasty design. It might require you to rethink your priority and risk factors such that you might need to accept a higher location of your scar in order to achieve the contour you desire.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Tummy tuck surgery in your case can be potentially dangerous if there is a long transverse scar present after your gallbladder surgery (open).   If the gallbladder surgery was done via a  laparoscopic approach, these him blood flow concerns will not be an issue. If the longer scar is present,  potential problems with  blood supply to the abdominal wall flap raised during tummy tuck surgery should be considered. A limited undermining tummy tuck operation ( with the standard transverse incision) will be your best bet.  You may wish to those abdominal wall photographs with the next question for more precise responses. When the time is right, seek consultation with an experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience ( and safety record) is achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Tummy tuck after cholecystectomy

Unless you are a smoker, large cholecystectomy scars usually don't affect circulation to the flap. If there are other scars, particularly a similar scar on the left side of the abdomen there could be an issue with circulation.

Daniel R. Knight, MD
Shreveport Plastic Surgeon