How to Know if Doctor is Board Certified to Inject Juverderm?

Doctor Answers 8

Checking qualifications for Juvederm (HA filler) injection

You ask a great question. It highlights the difference between board certification and experience performing a particular procedure, in this case, Juvederm filler injections.

The American Board of Medical Specialties grants board certification in the broad specialties of Plastic Surgery, Dermatology, Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Ophthalmology, etc. You can confirm your doctor's board certification by contacting the ABMS at This will confirm that your doctor met the educational requirements, but it says nothing about thier experience doing a procedure.

There is no reputable organization that certifies doctors as experienced or qualified at doing individual procedures. Picking a good HA injection doctor is like picking a good facelift doctor. You start with education and board certification, and then seek recommendation from trusted physicians and nurses. Next you visit the doctor's practice and have a consultation where you discuss your concerns and how he or she would address them. If a surgery is involved, you doctor may have credentials to do the surgery at a quality hospital.

Looking at the doctor's photographs can also be helpful. You may visit several before you make your decision. Best of luck.

Greenville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Board certification for injectables

Most doctors are board certified in their designated fields.  However, you should be choosy about the board certification. They should be boarded in a field that deals with aesthetics: dermatology, oculoplastic surgery, plastic surgery, and facial plastic surgery. 

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

No Certification

There is no "certification" per se, like one might see in a "board certified plastic surgeon", etc.  Juvederm can last upto a year, so choose someone with an aesthetic eye, and experience.  I would insist that the doctor do it.

Scott E. Kasden, MD, FACS
Dallas Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 101 reviews

There is no specific certification for fillers

The safest way to insure you are getting a properly trained physician is to check them out with the American Board of Medical Specialties. You want an injector who is board certified in either dermatology, plastic surgery, oculoplastic surgery, facial plastic surgery. Some opthalmologist and otolarygologists are also very capable. Once you verify they are board certified in the right thing ( ie not dentistry, ER, OB Gyn, etc which are not core aesthetic specialties) ask to see their before and after photos. Just because you are board certified does not mean you have a good artistic touch with fillers.

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

How to know if doctor is board certified to inject Juverderm?

In most states, to inject any "medical vehicle", BY LAW, one must only have a medical, dental or chiropractic license OR be operating "under the supervision" of one posse sing such a license.

Moreover, even if the injector was board certified by a LEGITIMATE BOARD ( and not all boards are - just how much training is a board certification in Pathology, ER medicine, Pediatrics etc - really give you or qualify you to perform or supervise such procedures?

Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 108 reviews

Board Certification for Cosmetic Treatment

No Board Certification is required in cosmetic treatments such as Juvederm, Restylane, Botox, etc. Any physician may treat patients with these cosmetic procedures. Your pediatrician or general family practioner may offer injectable fillers or Botox. Some states even allow non-physicians to practice such cosmetic medicine.

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 85 reviews

Confirm Board-Certification on AAD.ORG or PLASTICSURGERY.ORG websites

All consumers should be well-informed, especially those who are to undergo fillers injection. One should seek out board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeons who have years of training in the arts and science of facial rejuvenation. You can confirm board-certification of your physician injector to see he or she is listed under AAD.ORG (American Academy of Dermatology) or PLASTICSURGERY.ORG (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) websites.

William Ting, MD
Bay Area Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

There is no Board Certification in Juvederm

A wide array of doctors can use Juvederm including non-physician aestheticians and nurses. The most common types of doctors are plastic surgeons, otolaryngologists, and dermatologists. Ask what the doctor's training is in but realize that there are no board certifications for Juvederm as it is just a product and not a specialty of medicine.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 67 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.