Is It Possible to Change Head Shape Thru Fillers?

The back of my head is flat. Are there any injections to enhance the shape of my head, like Juvederm or Restylane that can be injected beneath the scalp? I would like the back of my head to be more rounded.

Doctor Answers 2

Changing the head shape with fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The amount of filler to provide a visible change under the tight scalp might not be possible to be placed in its intended location without being displaced by the pressure from the scalp. The surrounding areas might become more thick while the area you wanted improved flattens again shortly after the filler is placed. I would be concerned about the complications should someone try a permanent filler such as silicone. The large volume of the product needed to give you the result you want, could cause spread to distant areas of the body, and a reaction to the product could occur causing lumps and disfigurement which would require surgical removal and permanent scars would develop as a result. Sterile implants have been tried for this purpose and have been know to get infected requiring surgical removal and the implants may shift requiring surgical revision. Chronic infection is a concern and can occur when an infection in another part of the body occurs and the bacteria travel by the bloodstream and get deposited on the surface of the implant which does not have a good blood supply. You should see a craniomaxillofacial or plastic surgeon in consultation to get an evaluation.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Head Shape Change with Injectable Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hi Well Rounded,

There are methods of making the back of your head more rounded. I would not recommend Juvederm or Restylane as it would require very large volumes and would be a temporary fix. Sculptra is used to add volume to the temporal area to give a rounder, more youthful appearance. Experts in micro-droplet Silikon-1000 injections have been able to attain permanent results.

Consult with a well qualified and experienced facial plastic or plastic surgeon for evaluation of your defect. There are both surgical and non-surgical options.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.