How Much Bruising Should I Expect from Under Eye Filler Injections?

How bad is the bruising under the eye area after filler injections are done? Do I need to take time off work?

Bruising after filler injection below the eye

Bruising following filler injection is uncommon and unpredictable. Avoiding anticoagulating medications such as aspirin and vitamin E can minimize the risk of bruising. I have found that numbing the area of injection with a nerve block has reduced the incidence of bruising in my patients. Application of ice and pressure following the injection is also helpful.

Once bruising occurs, it usually resolves within one week. Arnica Montana is an herbal treatment which can help reduce swelling and bruising.

Bruising with Fillers

Bruising after facial filler injections can happen, especially under the eyes. It is somewhat unpredictable, as nobody can see small vessels under the skin surface.

Patients can help minimize the chance of bruising by avoiding aspirin or other medications that contain aspirin for at least 10 days prior to any treatment. Applying ice compresses after the injections can also help.

If bruising does occur, expect that resolution can take from 3-7 days, depending on size. warm compresses after the first day help to resolve it quicker.

Ira D. Papel, MD
Baltimore Facial Plastic Surgeon

Minimizing bruising from eye or tear trough filler injections

This varies tremendously among individuals and there may be very little you can do to avoid it. Howevery, there are many things you can do to minimize the potential.

1. Avoid medications such as Aspirin or motrin (NSAIDs) like products that may interfere with bleeding.
  2. Avoid alcohol.
  3. Control your blood pressure.
  4. Consider oral Arnica montana prior to injections.
  5. Consider ice immediately prior and subsequent to injections.
  6. Apply gentle pressure to area immediately after injections.
  7. Minimize physical activity and straining for 4-6 hours after injection.

Contact your physician's office prior to injection to inquire about any other measures they may advise.

Avoid Excessive Bruising with Eye Trough Filler Treatments

The best way to minimize bruising - especially for sensitive areas like lips or under the eyes, is to avoid medications such as aspirin, Ibuprofen ( Motrin and Advil) and non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as Alleve or Naprosyn that might be taken for sports injuries . Other culprits of bleeding and bruising tendencies are green tea, flax seed oil, Omega -3s and alcohol or caffeine intake the day before your treatment!
Arnica oral tablets are an easy remedy to reduce the degree and length of time of bruising and can be taken 3 -5 days following the treatment.

#bruisingwithtreatments  #Restylaneinjections  #undereyetreatments

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Bruising from Fillers

On occasion a bruise may occur at one or more of the injection sites. It may last several days and can easily be covered using make-up. Bruising can be minimized by not taking Aspirin, Motrin, Aleve or Advil for three days prior to your treatment. Taking Tylenol after treatment is fine. I don't think taking time off work is necessary.

Dennis Gross, MD

Bruising after

Bruising depends on the patient and the type of injection technique. In my experience, my patients have had very little bruising and it could be easily camouflaged by concealer. While it would be difficult to say how much bruising you’ll have, you can help minimize the rate by avoiding medications and vitamins that promote bleeding, such as aspirin and St John’s Wort. Avoid exercising and other vigorous physical activity on the day of your treatment as well.

Bruising could occur, but is unusual.

It’s unusual for patients to develop bruising following the use of injectable fillers. Never the less this complication may occasionally occur following these injections.
Although, this complication may be unavoidable every effort should be made to avoid post-operative bleeding. For this reason, strenuous activity should be avoided for 24 hours following the use of injectable fillers. These activities can elevate blood pressure and increase the potential for bleeding.
In addition, drugs that increase the potential for bleeding should be discontinued. These include Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin and Aspirin to name a few.
When these steps are taken the incidence of post injection bleeding and bruising is diminished but never totally eliminated.

Bruising from injectable fillers is common in tear troughs

Although not common, under eye bruising can occur and is the most frequent site of bruising with fillers.

Ice before and after is critical and a good injection technique can minimize any bruising if it should occur. Cover up can often conceal it.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Fillers and bruising

There may be a little bruising from fillers. This can happen more frequently in the thin skin of the lower lids.  Try to avoid any blood thinners like aspirin or anti- inflammatory agents for about 10 days to 2 weeks prior to the procedure to minimize the risk.

Filling lower eyelid grooves typically has no downtime.

Filling lower eyelid grooves to camouflage the appearance of eyelid bags is one of the most satisfying procedures for my patients and me. There is usually no downtime, but occasionally a small vein can be nicked, and in the worst case scenario, a "shiner" may develop.

I wish you an uneventful injection, and I hope you enjoy your results.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon