Are Butt Shots Safe and Do Plastic Surgeons Give Them?

I have heard of some women getting these butt shots that make their butts bigger.I don't know what is in the shot but i was wondering if it was safe?

Are injections for Buttock Augmentation safe?

Hi there-

Of course this would depend on what exactly is being injected into the buttock in order to increase the volume...

I am assuming, for the purposes of this message, that you are referring to "hydrogel" injections. Most often, this is a form of industrial silicone that is injected by someone posing as a doctor. Recently there were two women in the Tampa area who experienced kidney failure after having this material injected into their buttocks area by a "doctor".

These injections are NEVER safe, and you should know that usually attempts to save a few dollars in this fashion ultimately involve a significant risk to your own health and safety.

The only safe way to augment and improve the appearance of your buttock area is to find a plastic surgeon certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery and discuss options with them, like grafting your own fat into the buttocks (a Brazilian Butt Lift), or placing implants. In the hands of a skilled and experienced plastic surgeon, these operations are very safe and effective.

The bottom line is, don't take short cuts and try to find a bargain when your health is at stake.

“Have you heard of shots that increase butt growth.  Do you have an opinion on this?”

Thanks for your inquiry.  If you are referring the existence of a pill or a shot in a vein or in the muscle, so that there’s a systemic effect that changes the size or shape of the buttock, then, unfortunately, the answer is no.  There is no such shot or such medication that is able to do this.  The body shape is largely genetically determined.  So, the only way to really safely and reliably change the shape is through aesthetic plastic surgery.

In the case of the buttock area, there are a few options that are done in order to enhance the size and shape of the buttock.  One of the commonly done methods that is very reliable and safe that offers great results is the use of the person’s own fat borrowed from another region of the body which is processed and injected immediately into the buttock to enhance the volume of the area.  This can make it fuller and rounder in appearance.  So, the addition of fat to the buttock is combined with liposuction of the areas surrounding the buttocks so as to make better proportions further enhancing the new, pronounced shape of the buttocks.  For instance, reducing the fatty tissues in the lower back, the abdomen, and the outer thighs can all enhance the appearance of the fuller buttock area. 

In summary, there are no medications, pills, or shots in existence to increase the buttock.  It is really surgical procedures performed by board certified plastic surgeons that can reliably and safely enhance your buttock area.  I hope this information is helpful. 

Paul Fortes, MD

Any procedure that is followed by "I don't know what is in the shot" should be avoided!  There are safe methods of augmenting the buttocks with fat grafting or buttock implants.  Consult with a qualified plastic surgeon in your area.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Buttock injection for augmentation?

The Brazilian Butt Lift (liposuction of your lower back, waist, abdomen, etc, and injection of this fat into your buttocks) is a SAFE, effective buttock augmentation technique. I STRONGLY suggest you avoid any alternative injections (I have seen men and women with liquid silicone injected into their buttocks with HORRIBLE results and complications, wounds, infections, etc).

If you're interested in buttock augmentation surgery, I suggest you visit with an experienced Board Certified PLASTIC SURGEON.

I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

Safe butt shots.

Hello. The only safe injection for the butt is fat injections. These silicone shots women are having done are not approved by the FDA and can cause serious harm to your body. If you are interested in achieving a more round, shapely butt consider a brazilian butt lift with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Jaime Perez, MD

Fat injections to the butt are safe.

If you are talking about fat injections, utilizing you own fat then yes it is safe and experienced board certified plastic surgeons perform the injections. 

If you are talking about PMMA or hydrogel injections then no this is not safe, is illegal and legitimate doctors are not doing the injections.  They are not FDA approved and injectors may face imprisonment for using this hardware store grade material.

Butt injections and who should perform them?

This is a very common question, as patients want to use something that is going to be simple but safe for their buttock augmentation.

First of all I would NOT have PMMA, silicone, collagen, biopolymer or any other substance injected into your buttock that is not fat. That is a set-up for life long problems. Some people have these injections and are fine, but the people that have problems have them for life.

Unfortunately here in Miami many patients try to save money by having their procedure performed by non-plastic surgeons and at facilities that have not been accredited and often have problems.

Currently the only safe injection for buttock augmentation is fat. This is called the Brazilian Butt Lift; it is so popular because it enables your plastic surgeon to transform your entire shape. Liposuction is performed over several areas depending on the individual patient needs, but typically of the flanks, abdomen, back and thighs. So this is going to change your entire shape.

I would advise you to see a board certified plastic surgeon that performs a lot of fat transfer procedures. I would NOT have the procedure done by anyone except a board certified plastic surgeon as illegal injections can cause life long problems.