70 Year Old Woman Seeking Thermage Advice (photo)

I am 70 years old and am wondering if thermage would help me with my wrinkles

Skin tightening

There are no miracle treatments for non surgical skin tightening. Thermage can offer some help, but in my experience only with patients that relative good skin quality and tone to begin with. I would be surprised to see much if any change in a patient over the age of 65.

Akron Plastic Surgeon

Facial wrinkles and skin tightening devices

The most important thing to do would be to find an experienced, reputable cosmetic dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or facial plastic surgeon and have a sit-down cosmetic consultation where he/she can go over all of your options. What you decide to do for facial aging and wrinkles depends on 1. How invasive you are willing to be, 2. Your specific aging aspects, and 3. Cost. By looking at your photo, I would probably (can't see you in person) first find out if you have had cosmetic procedures done before, and then ask you what bothers you the most. Thermage is a radio-frequency skin tightening device. Although it can help to tighten jawlines and necks, the results vary from person to person. Some patients will get very little results. I actually use my Thermage very little, and have replaced it with Ultherapy which I think does a much better job (Ultrasound vs Radio-frequency). Also, for upper facial wrinkles, you would be better with Botox and a resurfacing laser such as a fractional CO2 (Total FX). If you are worried about jawline and neck (which may not be your issue), then you have to also talk about a face-lift. I believe that most women between 55 and 70 should consider surgical options.

Jennifer Reichel, MD
Seattle Dermatologic Surgeon

70 Year old and Thermage

You asked an excellent question.  An in office consultation is the best way to examine the skin laxity and discuss realistic results and expectations.  Thermage will not replace surgery.  However, if you do not want to have surgery, I have had many patients over age 65 who were very satisfied with the results of their Thermage treatments.  It is best to consult a board certified dermatologist to discuss your options and whether a combination of Thermage and injectables versus surgery would meet your expectations.  Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD

Candidacy for Thermage

Thermage is a radiofrequency device used for facial tightening, primarily of the lower half of the face, to combat the effects of gravity in the aging of the face. You do have some collection of tissue in the jowl area that this therapy would address. This procedure doesn't work for everyone with consistent results. However, there is no good way to distinguish who will from who will not respond to treatment.

In being respectful of how you spend your resources, I would encourage you to consider a fractional CO2 procedure which would address some of the fine lines and pigmentation of the face which result from cumulative sun exposure. This procedure is quite aggressive with 7-10 days of social downtime and bleeding/oozing of the skin. But a better use of financial resources to achieve the best outcome for you.

Jennifer Ahdout, MD, FAAD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist

Ultherapy vs. Thermage in Los Angeles

Having used both technologies, I would opt for Ulthera vs. Thermage for the lower face and neck areas. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS