I'm a 34G and for Insurance Need to Remove 550gm. Any Idea What Size That Will Make?

5'8" Curvy and athletic. 180lbs. Dr. at consult couldn't give me an idea of what size that would take me down to.

Breast reduction

Breast Reduction is a complicated procedure that is best done by those with the most training and experience. It is very difficult to determine the resultant cup size and shape based solely on the number of grams that are removed from your breast to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast reduction and lift surgeries, including different approaches, techniques and even fat transfer and implant choices if you are lacking superior breast fullness.
This is because several measurements—not to mention breast characteristics such as density—are needed to determine how much and where to remove breast tissue to meet your goals. Without knowing your existing breast shape, dimensions, and the density of your breast tissue, it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the same volume of breast tissue will weigh different amounts (measured in ounces or grams) in different people depending on its density. The existing base width of your breast and what you will ultimately want to look like will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume and weight that will need to be removed for the best result.

Please click on the link below for more information!

Reading the previous varying responses is of some concern. In my opinion if you are truly a "G" cup than a reduction to a DD or D would be my choice. Remember you did not post photos so very hard to be accurate. In terms of grams this could be in the area of 1000 to 1500 gms per side. Best to discuss again with your chosen PS. 

Result Of 550gr Breast reduction

No one can answer your question with certainty.  My best guess is that a 550gr reduction, if you are currently wearing a 34G bra, would result a C/D cup breast size.  At any rate, I think that you will be pleased with the result of the 550gr reduction.  My reduction patients are uniformly pleased that they underwent the surgery.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Breast Implants - I'm a 34G and for Insurance Need to Remove 550gm. Any Idea What Size That Will Make?

Hi OregonMom,

Great question - I wish there were a precise answer.

In GENERAL, it's about 150-200 grams per bra cup size, but it's less at the smaller end, and more at the larger end.  In other words, it's less than that to go from a AA to an A, and more from an F to a G (or the other way around).  Since a DD is an E, and a DDD is also called an F, you're basically a DDDD, or three size above a D.  Depending on your height and weight and your frame, my guess is that a 550 gram reduction would take you down about 2-3 bra cup sizes.  Weight also depends on the density of the breasts.  For young women and/or dense breast tissue, 100 grams will be a much smaller amount (ie, will not reduce the cup size as much as) than for an older woman and/or fattier breast tissue (nothing personal, of course....)

So I cannot say for sure without seeing a photo and/or being able to examine you and, in fact, it's hard to be exact even if those conditions are met. 

Ideally, you should have a frank and open discussion with your plastic surgeon about what you want and then be comfortable accepting a range of cup sizes, as long as you're reduced, lifted and the shape is appropriate for your frame.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Wrong question - procedure and surgeon selection are important

With a "G-cup" size, removing 550 grams per side will not be a problem.  What is more important is the type of breast reduction you have because the shape and scars are very different. 

Many operators still use an inverted-T design that predictably leads to boxy, flattened breasts with overelevated nipples and long horizontal scars.  Yes, the breasts are smaller and not as heavy, but not very pretty.  A vertical design minimizes the scars and provides a more conical shape, with better preservation of breast projection.  If the appearance of your breasts is important (and why would it not be?) you are best advised to educate yourself about the types of reductions, look at the surgeon's work and decide if you would be happy with the same result.  I advocate a "rule of 10" - you should be able to look at ten sets of photos that you would consider satisfactory.

Today, the bar for success is not just a reduction in breast weight but also an aesthetically superior result.  Just because insurance is paying does not mean that appearance is any less important.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast size after reduction

If you are really a "G" cup, you can more than likely have greater than 550 cc's removed to leavea  good size breast. However, without an exam, I could not tell for sure.

The D-cup most common after breast reduction

Though many would like to be as small as possible after breast reduction, the D-cup is the most common end result because of the geometry of the breast and breast base diameter. If you are currently a G-cup the 550 gram requirement will not be a challenge for your surgeon and if you too wish to be as small as you might be our bet is on a D-cup.

peterejohnsonmd

Breast reduction for insurance

This is difficult to say without seeing photos of you, but I imagine you could safely be reduced down to a D/DD bra cup size. If your breasts are truely a G cup, then removing 550 gms should not be that difficult and you'll still retain a nice breast contour.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Breast Size After Breast Reduction?

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.
Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.