Are 300cc Silicone Breast Implants Too Big for a Petite, A Cup Woman?

Will getting 300cc high profile silicone breast implants be too big or fake-looking on my body? The implants will be under the muscle. My measurements are:

• height=5'2''
  • weight=110 lbs.
  • ribcage=31.5in.
  • BWD=10cm.
  • pre-BA=34A

I would like be a 34C. Also if this helps, my other measurements are: shoulders 17in.; waist 26in.; hips 35.5in. I was a 34A full when I was nursing 9 years ago. I have 1 child.

Those are big implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are as small as you say, those are big implants. And by my taste,. high profile implants tend to look round and fake, and seem to cause an excessive amount of skin stretch, atrophy of breast tissue, and concavity of the rib cage over time. Of course that doesn't happen to everyone, but one cannot place highly projecting implants into tissue with impunity. There is a price to pay for stretching tissue beyond where it has ever been or is meant to go.

Assuming your base width is 10 cm, then the ideal starting size for you would be about 200cc. If you were loose or empty you would add some volume, and if you were tight or full it would be less than 200cc.

These numbers are based upon peer-reviewed and published data. It is data that has produced the best published results to date in terms of outcomes. If, on the other hand, achieving a certain size is more important to you than respecting your tissues, then you can go larger than that. But understand that there can be adverse consequences to your tissues.

Breast implant sizes.

Hi!

1) Probably too big. May look fake.

2) Not your resposibility to pick breast implants. Surgeon should do this once he or she really understands the look you want.

3) Surgeon should place disposable breast implant SIZERS in your breasts during surgery. That way, your surgeon can actually see the look that a particular implant size gives you before opening the permanent implants. No guess work.

4) Surgeon needs to have inventory of different size implants in operating room. That way, don't have to make final decision in advance.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Silicone breast implant sizing and measurements

There are many factors that go into sizing of implants-your desires, tissues and your measurements. The measurements are a guide and put the surgeon and the patient "in the ballpark" for what fits for your body. Also the measurements aren't always exact and reproducible amongst different surgeons doing the measuring.

The Allergan Style 20 High Profile 300 cc device has a base dimension of 10.9 cm. If your true breast base width is 10.0 cm then you can expect the 300 cc HP(10.9cm wide) to extend beyond the natural boundaries of your breast. This doesn't necessarily mean that it is "wrong", but it may come with some "trade-offs".

When implants are placed that are much too wide for the breast then you may feel or see the edge of the implant more easily. When high profile implants are placed that are much too wide there may be, depending on your tissues, and increased stretch which can contribute to the implants ending up too close together or disrupting the fold below the breast and the device ending up too low.

The quality and elasticity of your tissues is important if you are going to consider and implant that is wider than your true breast dimension. It may be worth seeing your surgeon again, getting re-measured, and if your base width is 10cm, discussing what the particular trade-offs for you may be.

John E. Gross, MD

Breast implant size

Choosing the right size breast implants for your frame is a personal decision based on your preferences, but also based on your measurements and the elasticity of your skin and tissue integrity. Your plastic surgeon should assess your "skin pinch" at the upper and lower poles of your breast, as well as the amount your breast tissue is displaced when gentle traction is placed on the nipple. 300cc certainly sounds to be on the larger size based on the measurements you have provided, but if your tissue is very loose and elastic, it may be acceptable. This is a decision best made in consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Lara Devgan, MD, MPH

VIDEO CLICK HERE Are 300cc Silicone Breast Implants Too Big for a Petite, A Cup Woman?

300 cc may be a very reasonalbe size for your body type. Sizers wll help determine the appearance and assist in the decision making process

Breast Implant sizing and Augmentation

Dear @sweet

You ask a very good question. The answers that have been posted give you a large range of choice....that is the precise answer! Choice. The size you would like to achieve will have some trade offs associated with it. If the implant is larger than your breast envelope will adapt to easily the result may be more 'fake' looking breasts and tissue atrophy over time. My role is to guide you in the size but in the end I will try to accomodate your wishes as best that i can. A 300cc implant may be on the large side- and still may not achieve a 'C' cup- but you may 'love' the result. If that is the size that looks good in a T-shirt or a bra then that is the range we would work with and attempt to use. The most 'natural' results will be attained with a breast implant that is similar in diameter to your breasts - the vertical and horizontal dimension may be changed in some cases.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

300 cc

It would be really helpful to have a full consultation with breast measurements taken. Using this information, your plastic surgeon can help you chose the appropriate implants and the " look" you are going for and advise you on other adjunctive procedures to give you your desired look. There is no ideal correlation with volume of an implant and "cup size" due to many variables including the patient current breast volume and breast shape.

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Too big to who?

Hi @sweet, The only person who's opinion what your breast size should be is YOURS. Every surgeon uses a different angle when working with patients to determine what size implants will give them the outcome they want. I am a fan of The Rice Test and "Wish For" photos from patients. These tell me exactly how much volume they are comfortable with and what they're picturing for themselves. 

I have no idea what was the method your surgeon used or what took place, but THEY should be the one giving you answers to all of these questions! It is important to have a solid discussion with your surgeon beforehand about your wants and making sure their methods for helping you choose a size are satisfactory. It is a collaborative process. Hopefully when asked, your surgeon will better discuss how you will work together to determine the best amount of volume to add, therefore implant size. 

We have our breast augmentation patients use The Rice Test. It's a fun, tactile, activity that helps you determine how big you want to go! The whole point of this test is not for you to have to determine how many cc's you want, it's simply to know how much volume gives you a look that makes you happy. It is a close approximation to what you think looks good for you – on your body, with your clothes.Simple as that. (There are newer gadgets out there if you want to be fancy and use them, but for the added costs, I just don't think they're any better than the old reliable Rice Test.) In addition if you can provide after photos of outcomes you admire, we can really see what you're visualizing for yourself. 

Relating and utilizing the implant diameter, projection and size to the relation of a patient’s body measurements and current breast volume are part of the process for an experienced surgeon. Patients are never expected to make a determination on this detail at my practice. What cup size or implant size you end up is really not as important as how happy you are with what you look like. My best advice is to be concerned with what you look like with a specified amount of added volume, not what that exact volume is. Patients focused on the cc's of their implants often end up with outcomes they are unhappy with and don't understand why they don't look the way they thought they would with a certain number.

Breast Implant Size

There is not a direct correlation between breast implant size and cup size as the cup size varies greatly among companies and even within the same company. Moreover, cup size can vary based on who is performing the measurement. The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body.

The answer depends on your goals

Using high profile breast implants on someone with a petite frame like yours isn’t unusual (the narrow base width often works better with your natural anatomy), and doesn’t necessarily mean your final results will end up looking fake. That said, I don’t think it’s a good idea to hold to a specific cup size as your goal for breast augmentation, since bra sizes aren’t consistent or objective. I suggest visiting a plastic surgeon who offers 3D imaging in his or her office so you can see exactly how you’ll look with implants in whatever size, shape and profile you prefer. This can be extremely helpful in making a final decision.

Nirav Savalia, MD