180CC Too Small For A To B Cup Increase?

I am 5'4" and 115 lbs. Currently 32 A. I would like to achive full B. 180 cc will be filled to 200cc and it will go under my muscle. I am not sure it will give a full B figure.

Breast augmentation A to full B cup

You should go into your procedure confident of what to expect.  We use the Rite-Size method outlined on our blog, which has been quite successful.  If you are going up one to one and one half cup size, select an implant with a base width identical to your breast base width minus your skin thickness.  Depending on where in the A cup range you are and where in the B cup range you want to end up, try both moderate and mid-range profile prostheses with the given width.  Confirm with 3D surgical simulation... the system we use is the Axis Three Portrait.

How much volume needed to go from 32A to 32B

Generally one cup size is 200 cc for smaller band sizes, e.g., 32 and 34.  For bra sizes of 36 and up larger volumes are needed.

In my practice we try to give the patient exactly what she wants, rather than aiming for cup size.

As you know, the cup can vary with the bra size. Many women are intermediate, sometimes using a 32, and sometimes a 34. The actual volume of a 34B is about the same as a 32 C. So cup size is an imprecise measure of what size implant to use.

We use gel sizers and let the patient judge when she looks exactly the way she wants to look.  That is the size that is most likely to correlate with long-term satisfaction.  It could be somewhere in the range of 180 to 240, but the final decision would be up to the patient.

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

250-300cc implants will increase an A to B cup

Without seeing a picture, it is impossible to determine the best implant size, but in general 250-300cc will increase you a full cup size.  I am not sure a 180 cc implant will get you to a full B cup.

200cc implants

I do not tell patients that a certain cc# will give them a specific cup size. It is difficult to tell you what size implant to use to achieve your goals because there are so many factors involved.  I ask my patients to bring in photos of what they want to achieve and when I am in the operating room, I fill up a temporary sizer to different volumes to see exactly what volume give the patient the look she is striving for.  It is too much responsibility for the patient to choose the implant size.  The surgeon should adjust things taking into consideration how much breast tissue you have, your chest wall (concave vs. convex), how a saline implant projects vs. a silicone gel implants, etc..  

How much is Enough for Breast Augmentation?

Mika,

A 180 cc implant will be very subtle and in reality, almost no significant augmentation. Even at 5'4" you have enough frame to handle this and more.  You don't want to regret being undersized if you decide to go ahead with an operation. No surgeon can know what volume will equal which cup and it also depends on bra manufacturer. Thus, you need to adequately communicate with your doctor to ensure that he/she fully understands the look you want to achieve and then can make subtle adjustments in the OR to help get you there.

One last issue, I assume you are choosing saline implants and would highly recommend you looking into silicone, especially with an "a" cup to start. These implants are much firmer to touch and are hampered by a tendency to show "rippling" through the skin in thin women.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast Augmentation

I think the more important issue, is what is best for your sized chest wall. the diameter of your breast is important to give you a natural result. a 180 cc implant may be too narrow, and you end up with a wide gap between breasts. very unnatural.

go online and look at photos of before and afters. women who start with your size and shape, and those you like. discuss that with your surgeon before going ahead.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

An increase from A cup to B cup for a 32 band bra size....

It is quite likely that the 200 cc implant will create a cup size that may be considered larger than a B cup.  Since  your bra band size is small (32), it will not take a large volume to get  you to a full B cup.  Depending on how much breast tissue you currently have (probably not much with an A cup), I would anticipate a C cup with the 200cc.  But many times it will depend on the bra style and vendor what your cup size eventually will become.  I would not go larger and maybe consider a smaller augmentation volume if you are set on a B cup.

Cup Size

Thank you for your question. Because you are petite, 200cc may indeed get you to a full B or larger, but keep in mind that there is no standardization for sizing bras. Your bra size will likely vary between manufacturers. My patients find it helpful to try on their sizers in form fitting clothing so that they can get a feel for the result and choose what they like on them rather than basing their choice on a projected cup size.

Talk to your Plastic Surgeon about your concern and perhaps ask if you can try the implant sizers on, or create your own "rice sizers" at home.

All the best

Breast Implant Size

200 cc may be sufficient to meet your goals/objectives.

The size of the implants are based on a combination of a patient's goals and objectives and her anatomy. In order to provide a natural looking augmentation, the surgeon needs to evaluate many factors including soft tissue coverage, skin laxity, chest wall width, breast imprint width, the shape of the breasts and relative level of constriction to ensure that the breast implants are appropriate for your body. Consult in person with 3 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons to understand your options.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Implant Selection Process

In order to make an accurate size recommendation, I would need to assess your chest wall and breast mound measurements and characteristics.  Unfortunately, there is not a general rule of thumb or objective criteria to implant selection.
Your plastic surgeon will perform several measurements of your chest wall and breast anatomy and determine a range of implants that both fit your chest wall and reach your desired goals.
The next step is to try on this range of implants in the office with your doctor.   The key to this success is showing your surgeon the body proportion you desire with a bra sizer and allowing your surgeon to guide you to the right implant.   It will be much easier to communicate in implant cc's than cup size when determining the appropriate implant for you.
I wish you a safe recovery and fantastic result.
Dr. Gill

Paul S. Gill, MD