Management of the capsule with breast implant removal (explantation)
Breast implants can certainly be removed(explantation) under local anesthesia.
In regards to the capsule:
- There is some controversy among surgeons if this should be removed and this is difficult to perform under local.
- Over the muscle capsules are easier to remove than under the muscle capsules
- With saline implants in which there is minimal capsule, i have left in place.
- With saline implants that have a severe, thickened or infected capsule, I will attempt to remove all or significant portions of the capsule
- In instances incwhich there may be concern about pathology such as Atypcial Lymphoma, I will remove signficant portions of the capsule
- With intact silicone implants of relatively short term duration (,<5 years) I will leave these in place
- Wtih silicone implants of long term duration or with thickened capsules I will attempt removal of the capsules
- In ruptured intracapsular silicone implants, I will attempt en bloc resection.
In ruptured extracapsular silicone implants, I will attempt en bloc resection in combination with involved tissues.