Diabetes and Wound Healing - 5 things to know
Why Do Diabetics have Impaired Wound Healing ?
1. reduced tissue perfussion with oxygen and nutrients because of diseased small vessels
2. poor offloading of oxygen near the wounded tissue
3. poor deformability of red blood cells so that they are less likely to bring oxygenated hemoglobin to the wound
4. impaired immunity - poor chemotaxis - this is the body's ability to bring in white blood cells to the wounded tissue using chemoattractants
5. impaired immunity - poor phagocytosis - this is the ability of whie blood cells to engulf and eat (internalize) bacteria.
All of these factors contribute to the deficient wound healing in diabetics.
www.VeinsVeinsVeins.com and www.SantaMonicaVeinCenter.com
Hratch L Karamanoukian, MD
Diplomate American Board of Surgery and American Board of Thoracic Surgery