Tummy Tuck for The "Older" Woman - Yorba Linda, CA

I am 51 years old and have had two children, one...

I am 51 years old and have had two children, one was a c-section. Back when I was in my 20's and had my c-section, they cut through my muscle. Of course, nothing was the same afterwards. After 25 years in a bad marriage and divorce, I gained and lost weight which added to the tire around my middle. Three years ago, I had a breast lift and was extremely happy with my plastic surgeon and the results, so I decided to go back to him for my tummy tuck and muscle repair.

I think the most important advice I could give is to read the blogs and accept the fact that the first few weeks are really going to suck after the surgery. Everyone is different, and there is no "magic" number of days or weeks when suddenly you'll feel great! You should know that things DO GET BETTER, but be prepared for the pain! It hurts, but it eventually gets better!

Also, be sure to research doctors. Be sure to get one who is a certified plastic surgeon--your body is not worth going cheap! I had my tummy tuck and muscle repair on June 28th, 2011 and am extremely happy with the results!!! Yes, I had the horrible swelling, and I could only take two weeks off work, so I had to deal with it. I followed my drs.' instructions and walked hunched over as instructed until he told me I could straighten up. Yes, it feels like you're going to split in two and it burns and it's painful, but IT GETS BETTER! I'm just starting to exercise again, including sit-ups. It still hurts to do sit-ups and my stomach still burns sometimes if I stretch too far. I listen to my body and stop if there is pain. All I can say is no matter what age you are, a tummy tuck is the way to go to get rid of that loose skin!

Orange County Plastic Surgeon

I used Dr. Nolan for both my breast lift and tummy tuck/muscle repair. He is associate with Mission Viejo Hospital and his office is spotless. His staff is caring and professional and ALWAYS patient in explaing the procedures and answering questions.

I'm still trying to decide if its worth the money, i'm 58 and researching doctors to do a tummy tuck. How can I find out if they are board certified or if there are any complaints about their work? Also, I quit smoking a few months ago so now I have gained about 10 pounds which has went right on my tummy, upper part, which is difficult to lose cause I'm wanting to replace smoking with eating. I'm having a hard time just trying to keep my eating somewhat under control. The doc I went to see told me I would be happier with the results if I lost 5 or 10 pounds, geez, its hard to do plus not smoke. I'm putting a mortage on my home to have this tt done, I think thats why I'm reluctant to have it done, my home has been paid for going on ten years and the thought of putting a debt against it is kind of scary, but I sure would like to have a pretty tummy again and look better in my clothes. So, I'm still not fully decided. Reading everyone's commments help me to make my final decision. Thank you all.

Gee, I feel like the old lady in the group. I'm 67 and had my TT on Sep. 2. Two years ago I had lap band surgery and since lost 112 lbs. so the TT was very much needed. I'm a new person with lots of health benefits. I'm healing now and can't help but wonder if I should have had the full TT when I hear ladies talk about that hour glass shape. Then I remind myself that I am 67 and should be happy with my new figure. It is definitely an improvement. The thighs and boobs need some work--but I'm not sure if I should go there. My husband is so terrific! He was totally supportive and told me he loved me as before just as much.
So it's good to hear about how older women deal with this kind of surgery.

boy, after hearing some of the comments on tt, i wonder if its worth it. some ladies really suffer some pain.
Ladies, you are never too old to feel better about yourself if this is something you have truly longed for. I had my TT on 6/17 and every day gets better and better. Being also a woman of a "certain age" I have no regrets only that I waited so long. When the gauze wrap started coming off that was covering my incision just a couple of days after surgery I wondered about the flesh colored bandage showing underneath. To my amazement it was my new tummy and not a bandage showing through at all. I was thrilled and when I saw my new belly button even more so. My Dr. has been amazing, gentle and kind, as has all of his staff so I couldn't be happier. I applaud you all for doing something you have wanted for it is a big decision. My best advice would be to not rush your healing process and take as much time as you can. Research as much as you are able and make use of all the wonderful information available to you here on the RealSelf website.
I am 58 and going soon to get a tt. my doctor is going to be Dr. Kim in Beverly Hills. I am a bit nervous but hoping the money will be well spent. I keep thinking I'm to old for this surgery but maybe not, i read of plenty of women my age getting this surgery.
Congrats !
I had my tummy tuck 7 months ago at age 57. It was the best thing I have ever done for myself ! I look at feel great. I look at other women my age struggling to lose their belly and want to tell them the only true way to lose it is by having a TT.
I'm so ready for the pain to get it over with. I'm excited but hesitant. I try to imagine what the pain would be like. I'm not the one to be restricted but I guess I have to for the next month so I can share my story. Thanks for encouraging me to stay focused on my big day 11/4/11
Post pictures, please! I am 49 and have a TT and BR scheduled Dec. 13. I love to read about people closer to my age. I am nervous, but I know it will be worth it!
welcome stony I am right around the corner from you I live in Sanbernardino are! Past is same a little Welcome!
I am a 54 year old female and I had a breast lift and lipoadominalplasty 35 days ago well worth the pain and will only get better and better I wish I had done it years abort

Thank you for sharing your story with us! I'm sure your review will helps lots of other women who stop by looking for a doctor referral in your area and input about recovery. My mom had a tummy tuck around age 55, and she's so happy she did it, too. I'm sure you look fabulous!