Dont Do It for Someone Else! - West Virginia

My TT was a painful mess. My surgeon cut me from...

My TT was a painful mess. My surgeon cut me from breastbone to pubic bone and hip to hip. The scars from my mid-sections are crooked and very large and noticeable. I developed neuropathy, which is very painful and no amount of medication relieves the pain. I also have severe adhesions and scar tissue and my doctors state that I may need a revision.

The worst part? My husband took one look at my cut and disgusting body and asked me for a divorce. I lost weight, had excess skin and thought I would do it to make my husband happy. When his insurance denied a breast job, I went ahead with the TT presuming it would be a start. It has ruined my life. Im scarred, divorced and to ashamed to find someone to come into my life because of my scars.

NEVER do surgery for someone ELSE. All I really wanted done was my floppy arms. I wish I had done that for me and not destroyed my entire body with a TT.

I want to thank everyone who took the time to...

I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my questions. Just a few more details;

I have been to a Pain Specialist. He is the one who suggested a revision.

The Plastic Surgeon originally tried to calm the neuropathy with Neruontin and Steroid injections. The pain is NOT in the incisions but in the abdominal tissue around my mid-section. For example, I can press on my left and feel pain on my right side. Or the pain just happens, like a stabbing without notice.

Once the plastic surgeon said he couldnt do anymore with the neuropathy, he sent me to a pain clinic. The Dr there also gave me steroid injections. They helped temporarily but eventually stopped working and made my abdomen hard and knotty, hence his recommendation for revision surgery. He too has dismissed himself from treating me since his treatments did not help. His suggestion to see another Plastic Surgeon Specialist, out of state, was his last recommendation. Now, with the pain, I place a lidocaine patch on the area causing the most discomfort and hope for the best. Obviously, I cannot predict when the pain will come on, but Im trying to deal with it as part of the healing process.

The pain clinic doctor also said the hard knots hes feeling are scar tissue 'growing' and need to be repaired. I mentioned this to my Plastic Surgeon and he agreed but didnt like the fact that a fellow doctor would critize his work. I know this is not the plastic surgeons inability to do his job. This is, in fact, somethiing my body is reacting to. And why I wanted some more information and opinions before I consider going in for any type of revision. For obvious reasons, I will absolutely have more neuropathic pains and will have another year or possibly more, to recover from.

Again, thank you all for your suggestions and advice. I, in no way, want to disrespect my plastic surgeon. He is very talented and other than my pain problems caused by my own body, I would recommend him completely. Contrary to what the Pain Clinic Doctor advised. Thank you again.

Photo Update

I have enclosed some new, recent photos of my...

I have enclosed some new, recent photos of my abdomen. The incisions are mainly itchy but not a problem. The areas outside the incisions, the abdominal areas, are knotty and hard and I have neuropathic pain. I have been to a Neurologist who prescribed Cymbalta and upped the dose from 60 to 90mgs. He asked me to cease using the Lidoderm patches, since they are ineffective and after viewing an abdominal ultrasound, say these are surgical changes and there is nothing they can do without revision. Since I am not a year post op, Im going to agree with the surgeons on this web site who have offered their suggestions and I appreciate all of your feedback. For now, I will live with the pain and hope for the best with healing and with the increase of cymbalta.

I dont want to comment on my Doctor. He tried but my body didnt co-operate. I dont want to mention him but one of his collegues told me to never go back to him again. He said I need a revision specialist. Someone skilled in straightening out the crooked scar and removing the adhesions.

Omg why would U need that long cut I thought TT was pelvic bone to pelvic bone
I have to tell you that the "worst part" is NOT that your husband took one look at you and asked for a divorce. That is the BEST part. You got rid of someone from your life who is clearly a self-centered awful mean sexist bastard. Good riddance. Talk about kicking you while you are down -- you do NOT need to be married to that. Find a man who is your #1 Fan and then marry him, or else just stay single -- what's wrong with that? But never settle for someone who is not your #1 Fan. Ever.
I am so sad and sorry for your sadness, but so glad that you were blessed to get rid of him even though you didn't see it as a blessing.
I am considering having this done and I live in Charleston, WV. Which doctor did you go to? Have you heard of good, board certified doctors?
Try using Mederma for scar treatment.
Hello and thank you for the suggestions. I have used Mederma and Cocoa Butter to soften the external skin but the scar tissue remains hard and dark. Something about melanin ( I think thats what its called ) and how Black and Mediterranean (me) people have this issue when it comes to any scars.

I will give it more time to heal and hopefully the pain will lessen. Otherwise, I will seek the specialists suggested.
I hope it heals up for you quickly.
I'm scared enough to go through the procedure just reading everyone's posts about their experiences...I can totally relate to you not wanting to go through it all again. Maybe one of the questions you can ask is if the revision process is as difficult of a recovery as the initial procedure was. Maybe it's not as intense.

And for the record, any husband who would leave his wife over something physical isn't someone you want in your life anyway. A REAL man loves you for who you are ... period ... in sickness and in health - without wavering. You may not feel it now, but you are far better off without this shallow, self-centered pig in your life and I'm sure this whole experience will make it possible for you to meet someone new...someone who deserves you and who will treat you like a princess.

Hugs to you! And yes, please keep us posted on how things are going for you.
Thank you all for your comments. Yes, he is board certified and from the questions I asked from physicians who visit this site, they all seem to be in agreement that the procedures were done correctly. My issue now is not so much the scars but the constant neuropathy pain surrounding the area. They feel like hot stabbing irons that randomly attack. No medications stops the pain and since the pain is random, I never know when its going to hit me. One of the Pain Clinic specialists, who I consulted with after the PS did all he could do, suggested revision. Since Im hesitant about going thru the pain and healing process (again) I have been researching other options.
I want to thank you all for taking the time to comment. This has been very beneficial to my well being, just knowing someone out there is concerned and knowledgable enough to give me their opinion.
Are you sure this was a board certified plastic surgeon? I have never heard of being cut open like that.
I am sorry you have gone through this. I would suggest if you do decide to go for revision try to pick a surgeon who specializes in Weight loss surgery patients as I believe they are more experienced in the way that your where cut - which I only heard of them doing when there is excessive, excessive amounts of skin that can not be removed by just pulling down.

I am sorry you have gone through all of this physical and mental pain!  I can't even imagine how you must feel.  So sorry...

Keep your chin up and stay positive....which is sounds like you are :)
Thank you. The Doctor, in my opinion, did the best that he could considering my situation. I dont think he did anything surgically inappropriate. The scars and scar tissues that are causing me trouble are something that my body produced on its own.
As for the surgical incisions; Since my abdominal muscles were stretched ( or ripped apart ) from a combination of childbirth ( 3 kids ) and over weight, the breastbone to pubic bone incision was to get into the muscle wall and 'sew' the muscles back together, therefore giving me the flatter, more muscular, flat stomach. The hip to hip was to remove the excess skin that I wore like an apron. All of the procedures were explained to me and I was aware of the scars but have also seen similar stories where the post op scar was very thing and barely noticable. Mine, almost a year post op, are still very dark, wide and hard. I havent had the courage to take current photographs but will do so to show others how things look 9 months, post op. The neurological pain is another thing that was presented and caused by my body, not anything the surgeon did or didnt do. Yes, my Plastic Surgeon is Board Certified and was very skilled, although from the layman's eye, it may look out of sorts. I do not want to sue. I simply want relief of the pain that came about due to my bodys reaction to the surgery. Since other doctors were brought in to consult, I thought I would see if someone else had any other suggestions and so far, I have recieved lots of valuable information.
As for my husband... his loss, my pain.

It simply showed me, in a brighter light, that he was more superficial than loving.

Since I made the ultimate decision, I will make the ultimate choice on how I will repair and get better.

Without anyone elses opinion. ( Other than my medical team. )

:-)
You sound like you are in a better place! Although what's done is done, please know that all full TT include getting to the muscle wall high on the belly and sewing the muscles back together. Other ps do this by putting their hands up through the one and only low horizontal incision and if there is a small vertical incision, it is done in the excess skin that will be cut off anyway. So in my opinion, yes, he did something very wrong and unnecessary, and you should not think that your body is at fault and betraying you. You could consult a different ps about a scar revision, or at the very least, use one of the topical scar products such as Mederma, or Oleeva which I use. Best of luck, glad your emotionally better, and please keep us posted!
I'd get an attorney!
OMG. That is just terrible. You will find people to be in your life for the person you are inside, not on the outside! You should reconsider naming your doctor to save some other poor gal from going thru this.
This is terrible. I am so sorry for what has happened to you! Why did your doctor have to cut you vertical from your breast bone? I have not heard of this being necessary for a TT procedure. Was he board certified???? do you have grounds to sue?